Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I set time limit for LAN access to time capsule?

I want to set a time limit to access internet for my kids.

By I only found a limitation for WiFi access, no limit for LAN access.

Tried to enter the mac address of the LAN network card of the laptop, but it has no effect.

Any ideas?

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 12:40 PM

You cannot do it from the router.. If they are Macs then apple built the parental controls into the OS.

Here is the first article I found.. but you can easily search and find more. The exact OS your kids are using helps.

OS X Mavericks: Set up parental controls

I do not think controls at the Mac is the best idea.. frankly kids work out pretty quickly how to get around things.. and it is the wrong point to control.. so buy a router that has excellent controls.. You can keep using your TC in bridge to this router.

What I recommend is a third party firmware called gargoyle.. just search for that too.. if I post the link, apple delete my post.. for whatever strange reason they have.. you need to buy a suitable router but they are not expensive.. The WNDR3800 which is no longer available new but plenty on ebay.. or Dlink DIR-835 is fairly cheap and excellent for the job.. there are some newer ones as well. Nothing over $100.. and that will allow you full control.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2015 12:40 PM in response to Maxi4030

You cannot do it from the router.. If they are Macs then apple built the parental controls into the OS.

Here is the first article I found.. but you can easily search and find more. The exact OS your kids are using helps.

OS X Mavericks: Set up parental controls

I do not think controls at the Mac is the best idea.. frankly kids work out pretty quickly how to get around things.. and it is the wrong point to control.. so buy a router that has excellent controls.. You can keep using your TC in bridge to this router.

What I recommend is a third party firmware called gargoyle.. just search for that too.. if I post the link, apple delete my post.. for whatever strange reason they have.. you need to buy a suitable router but they are not expensive.. The WNDR3800 which is no longer available new but plenty on ebay.. or Dlink DIR-835 is fairly cheap and excellent for the job.. there are some newer ones as well. Nothing over $100.. and that will allow you full control.

Can I set time limit for LAN access to time capsule?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.