Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

genre has changed to numbers

For some reason the genre on some songs has changed to numbers in itunes 12.1, when I go to "get info" there are 8 options with numbers. Why is this and how can I get rid of them and change my library back???

Windows Vista

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 1:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 1:51 PM

Certain genres are in the ID3 system are given numeric values and media players can display a value localized for the current region. My guess is that there may be some corruption of the localization file. These files are found at:

C:\Program Files[ (x86]\iTunes\iTunes.Resources\<Two letter country code>.lproj\localizable.strings

Try deleting the active file that corresponds with the region you have selected in iTunes settings, then run a repair on iTunes.

Here is a list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3#List_of_genres

BTW, which region is iTunes set to? Do the numbers match your expectations?

tt2

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2015 1:51 PM in response to Comerman

Certain genres are in the ID3 system are given numeric values and media players can display a value localized for the current region. My guess is that there may be some corruption of the localization file. These files are found at:

C:\Program Files[ (x86]\iTunes\iTunes.Resources\<Two letter country code>.lproj\localizable.strings

Try deleting the active file that corresponds with the region you have selected in iTunes settings, then run a repair on iTunes.

Here is a list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ID3#List_of_genres

BTW, which region is iTunes set to? Do the numbers match your expectations?

tt2

Mar 3, 2015 2:22 AM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the reply turingtest2, I looked for the file you suggested but cannot find the "two letter country code" file for Ireland which is the region my account is set to. The list you provided suggests some of the numbers are winamp extensions. I then tried to repair iTunes but keep getting the error on windows installer saying the feature you are trying to use is on a network resoure thats not available.

genre has changed to numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.