Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

backing up iTunes located on external drive to another external drive

Greetings,

I'm on iTuens 11.3 and in preferences have chosen an external drive to keep all my music. I would like to back-up the contents of my iTunes to another external drive.

I have NOT chosen: iTunes - File - Library - Organize Library

Perhaps this is my problem…?

The external hard drive that has my iTunes library does not have a single iTunes folder. Instead, each artist has a folder within which are multiple albums, single albums or songs.

It seems there should be a single file folder somewhere that I can copy to another external hard rive in order to make a back up.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 2:29 PM

5 replies

Mar 2, 2015 2:32 PM in response to adp

There will only be a single folder if you've told iTunes to organize your library. You need to either do this, or drag all of the individual folders to the second drive, or clone the first drive to the second.

If desired, you can move the iTunes folder to the first drive, launch iTunes with the Option key held down, and choose it before organizing the library.

(123377)

Mar 2, 2015 2:33 PM in response to adp

You have a split library. Media are on the external but all the other files iTunes makes and uses are still on your internal drive. To make a complete backup you will need to copy files in both locations.

Generally unless you have to it is best not to split your library but instead keep everything on the external drive which could be included in a Time Machine backup if you wish.

backing up iTunes located on external drive to another external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.