Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Battery after 60 load cycles

Hello to community!

I have a Retina MBP mid 2012 and I have replaced my battery once with the keyboard.

I usually use my macbook plugged in the power outlet and once in a week I use my battery.

I checked my stats today with coconut battery and it refers that my battery capacity is at 97% after 58 load cycles.

Is that normal or it has lost a big percentage for that use?

Thank you in advance

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 1:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 1:51 PM

I would not worry too much about a one-time reading. The percentage can fluctuate by a few points up and down. What you want to look at is the long term trend.

It's OK to keep it plugged in all week. When you use your battery, do not empty it all the way to 0% every time because that will definitely reduce capacity more quickly. Drop it to somewhere between 20% and 90% before charging, preferably not down to the same percentage every time.

It is possible that the battery capacity may drop faster if the battery is exposed to high temperature while the battery is both full and plugged in. I would call it high temperature if the fans have to come on a lot.

For more details on the effects of cycle depth and temperature on battery life, you can read How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2015 1:51 PM in response to Evripidis90

I would not worry too much about a one-time reading. The percentage can fluctuate by a few points up and down. What you want to look at is the long term trend.

It's OK to keep it plugged in all week. When you use your battery, do not empty it all the way to 0% every time because that will definitely reduce capacity more quickly. Drop it to somewhere between 20% and 90% before charging, preferably not down to the same percentage every time.

It is possible that the battery capacity may drop faster if the battery is exposed to high temperature while the battery is both full and plugged in. I would call it high temperature if the fans have to come on a lot.

For more details on the effects of cycle depth and temperature on battery life, you can read How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries.

Battery after 60 load cycles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.