Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Flashing Folder with Question Mark

Hi,

I have the flashing folder with question mark issue when starting up my macbook pro with Yosemite. Having searched the internet it appears that it might be the HDD cable , HDD itself or both. I have an older HDD which was taken out of my last 2009 MBP and can boot externally from that however when I insert it into my MBP I get the flashing folder again. I cannot boot from original HDD either internally or externally.

I have changed the HDD cable but still cannot boot from the original HDD or my older one. Disk utility does not recognise my original HDD but does pick up the older one when I boot from it.

I would appreciate any advise as to the problem with my MBP. Should I be able to startup from my older HDD when inserted into my MBP?

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 2:59 PM

3 replies

Mar 2, 2015 3:12 PM in response to Roblloyd

The older HDD that you tried may have an OSX that is older than the one that the MBP came with. That may be the reason it will not boot the MBP.

Use the original HDD that you took out of the MBP and connect it to the MBP via the USB connection. Use startup manager and see if the MBP will boot externally.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1310

If it boots the MBP, then the internal connection is faulty. If it will not boot the MBP, then the HDD is suspect.

It would be helpful if you indicated the EXACT model/year MBP that you have and the OSX.

Ciao.

Flashing Folder with Question Mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.