Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external hd failed to unmount

Hello all,

i've been trying to figure out this issue and cannot seem to figure it out...

My external HD which has all of my music and photos is stuck in a mounted state where my computer cannot see it. Only disk utilities can see it (it's greyed out) and when I try to repair it, it fails and gives me the error

"Disk Utility stopped repairing “TOSHIBA EXT”: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files."

Since it has all of my information on it, I cannot just reformat. I've tried force unmounting in terminal, however every time it fails. There seems to be an app/something that is still trying to use the disk. The issue started after I tried plugging my mac formatted hard drive into a nether router to use the ready share cloud in my home, so it could potentially be coming from there.

i ran the code ps -ax | grep fsck to try and find a process that I could force quit and I find this 479 ?? 1:29.29 /System/Library/Filesystems/hfs.fs/Contents/Resources/./fsck_hfs -y /dev/disk1s2

/dev/disk1s2 being the hard drive that I am having issues with. When I try and use the command sudo kill <process number> it seems to "work" but when I re search ps -ax | grep fsck again, it is still there.. however instead of 479, it changed to 492.

does anyone out there know how I can get my hard drive out of this state???

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 3:12 PM

There are no replies.

external hd failed to unmount

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.