Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i would like to update my macbook but......

I have a 13 inch white macbook 2009 its version now is a 10.6.8 i just had a new hard drive replaced because it broke. i would like to update it to the new yosemite because of the newer iphoto but i scared something might happen to it i read a lot of negative comments of the update and i don't know if something could happen to my computer since its almost vintage. Please help😟

MacBook

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 2:10 PM

7 replies

Mar 2, 2015 2:41 PM in response to vane3007

A back up is essential before you do anything, particularly a OS upgrade. You do have one, right? Yes, officially this is a vintage computer - that's Apple description. If your Macbook is 5,1 or newer, and has enough RAM, it will take Yosemite.

But bear in mind that some of your Apps will not work with any OS higher than 10.6.8. That is potentially a more expensive burden than any other you will face in upgrading. A list of > 600 Apps and their compatibility:

http://roaringapps.com/apps?index=a

I have more than one MBP that are older than yours. Here's the essence of one:

User uploaded file

I have had OS 10.10 on this computer since the day it was released. But I have also maxed out the RAM, and installed a solid state drive. This computer is fine, actually better than fine. The only drawback I have run into - I imagine there are others I have not encountered - is that I cannot install Windows 8 - Boot Camp Assistant does not want to do it.

Mar 3, 2015 5:16 AM in response to vane3007

You can certainly upgrade the RAM on this model to 4 GB, at least. Depending on the processor speed even 16 GB is possible.

How much do you have now? Apple menu / About This Mac will tell you.

In sum then, with 4 GB (minimum) RAM you will be able to run Yosemite. In fact, with the next Yosemite upgrade (10.10.3) you will be able to enjoy a whole new Photos application:

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/03/os-x-10-10-3-beta-goes-public-bringing-the- new-photos-app-with-it/

i would like to update my macbook but......

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.