Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Solving the MainStage Key Commands Customizer

It's rare that I find a UI in a Mac application (especially a first-party Mac application) with an incomprehensible interface. But I find the key command customization interface to be baffling. To take a simple example: the default key mappings for "next patch" and "previous patch" are [CMD]-down arrow and [CMD]-down arrow, respectively. I think it's ridiculous to require the command key with these two commands, since the arrow keys without modifiers aren't mapped to anything. But I simply cannot figure out how to edit the existing mapping. You'd expect that, in the giant blank area next to where the commands, modifiers, and keys are, you'd actually, you know, see something, instead of just a big black rectangle. I've tried everything I can think of to remove the modifier key, leaving just the down- and up-arrows: clicking on the modifier key, right-clicking on it, option-clicking on it, command-clicking on it, double-clicking on it, etc. If I just type the down arrow with "Next Patch" selected, nothing happens. If I click on the down arrow in the graphic of the keyboard, all I get is a list of possible modifier key combinations, including with no modifier, which is labeled "Perform Next Patch." What the distinction is between "Next Patch" and "Perform Next Patch" is mysterious, but in any case, with the mappings set to the default, the up and down arrow keys with no modifiers clearly don't do anything,

Has anyone figured out how you're supposed to modify key commands?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 4:24 PM

10 replies

Mar 3, 2015 7:29 AM in response to ericmurphysf

I haven't tried to do this, but off the top of my head I suspect that you can't change them because the up/down arrow does OS standard things like scrolling and moving up and down lists etc.

However, if you're in performance mode then I guess that's when Perform Next Patch comes into play because you can then just use the up/down arrows to change patches.

I bought a Korg nanocontrol USB controller and mapped two of the buttons as well as using a pedal for next patch.

Mar 3, 2015 9:07 AM in response to mikmanmikman

After fighting and arguing with the interface for a few hours, I finally figured out how it's supposed to work, at least. Rather than selecting an action (e.g., next patch, toggle mute, etc.) and then assigning a key to it, you first select the key on the keyboard diagram, and then drag the action into the lower right corner of the window. I was able to assign the up and own arrow keys (with no modifier) to go to the next or previous patch, and then assign the arrow keys (with the Command key) to go to the next or previous set.

But there still seem to be some bugs in the key command implementation. For example, by the default toggle the tuner is assigned to [CMD]-T and to the tab key. But you can't assign any other key or key combination to toggle the tuner (and even the tab key doesn't work). Even deleting the [CMD]-T assignment by dragging it out of the window doesn't delete that assignment; it's like it's hard-coded into the interface.

So I'm making some progress, but sometimes it's difficult to figure out if I'm doing it wrong or if it's just a bug in the interface.

Mar 3, 2015 11:04 PM in response to Blueberry

I don't even think that it's non-customizable. After all, the default key-mapping of the tab key to toggle the tuner doesn't even work. I just think the whole key mapping thing is buggy.

Example: I want the up arrow to go to the previous patch and the down arrow to go to the next patch. I edit the key commands so they work: hitting the down arrow goes to the next patch, and hitting the up arrow goes to the previous patch. I save the customization, and then look at ~/music/audio music apps/mainstage key commands/ and note that the mod date on the .commandset file has updated. All my other customizations work. Then I quit and relaunch MainStage, and the up arrow mapping to go to the previous patch is gone. It's even listed as a key command in the "commands" part of the interface (but not under the "Command Detail" section. But it doesn't work. I can edit it, get it to work, save it, quit MainStage, and relaunch, as often as I want, and I get the same results every time. All my other customizations are still there. So why is that one customization not getting saved?

There's no way this is not a bug.

Jul 22, 2015 11:14 PM in response to Blueberry

Obviously Apple is in no hurry to address any of these, or millions of other issues, in MainStage. I honestly don't know how anyone could use the application in a live performance. It's way too flaky. Just as an example: I would love to program the up and down arrows just to go to the previous and next patches, respectively. It's trivially easy to set it that way in the Customize Key Commands dialog. The problem is, MainStage simply does not read these changes back after you've saved them. I've confirmed, over and over again, that I've set the key commands this way, and they'll work this way as long as I don't quit the app. I've confirmed, over and over again, that I've saved the configuration, and verified from the Finder that the mod date on the MainStage key command file has updated. But as soon as I quit the app, the key commands revert to what they were previously, which is only to go to the previous patch in Edit mode, not in performance mode. So I edit it back the way I want it, and it works fine. Until I quit the app.

I cannot believe I'm the only one who's having these kinds of problems.

Solving the MainStage Key Commands Customizer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.