Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help about refurbished MacBook Pro 15" 2012 vs 2013

Hello All,

I'm planning to buy a refurbished MacBook Pro since I'm tight with budget. This would be my first mac machine ever. So I was hoping if someone can shed some opinion on which one should I go for. But first, I will be using the MacBook for basic photoshop, Office documents (Word, Excel, Outlook, Powerpoint), internet, and maybe (just maybe) if I have time from my busy work, I could try to learn in movie editing (just for fun). So anyway, I found 2 refurbished 15" MacBook Pro that fits my budget and seems like they're quite similar (2012 and 2013). The 2013 is only $20 more.

1) Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.3GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display - $1,469.00
Originally released June 2012

15.4-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2880-by-1800 resolution at 220 pixels per inch

8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM

256GB Flash Storage

720p FaceTime HD Camera

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory

2) Refurbished 15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.0GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display - $1,489.00
Originally released October 2013

15.4-inch (diagonal) Retina display; 2880-by-1800 resolution at 220 pixels per inch

8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM

256GB Flash Storage1

720p FaceTime HD camera

Intel Iris Pro Graphics

So it looks like the difference between the two is obviously the CPU, the 2012 having an extra GPU, and the 2013 uses the Thunderbolt 2 as far as I know. And I'm not sure if the SSD on the 2012 is SATA as oppose to the 2013 it's PCIe? Base from what I explained above on how will I'll be using the MacBook for, is the 2012 best fit for my needs or is the 2013 a better one?

Thanks all. Please remember I don't have any experience with Macs at all. So I'm hoping someone can help me a little bit. Thanks again.

- Eddie

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 4:36 PM

14 replies

Mar 2, 2015 5:08 PM in response to Eddie-Spaghetti

Looks as though they both have RAM soldered to the logic board, so you can't upgrade

those yourself, I double-checked and noticed this factor with the Retina models.

So the graphics processor, and the SSD technologies remain the specs to check.

The mactracker database (download, free) is a good source of information in addition to

the Apple support database, and everymac.com. see http://mactracker.ca to get it.

Hopefully you can choose the very best one. 🙂

edited

Mar 2, 2015 5:50 PM in response to K Shaffer

PS: side-by-side specs, graphics and drive data rates,

the newer of the two may be the better one to get, as

it has later Thunderbolt with higher capacities, too.

Look into mactracker or other specification chart that

can be opened beside each other (as I have now) &

then you can see sections in each model, one at a

time. MacTracker shows general-software-memory+

graphics-connections-history by category.

2013 model Thunderbolt, Hard Drive Interface, graphics

spec all look good. Not sure if the history of graphic issue

in the dual-graphic card model 2012, was overcome or not.

However this may require some research...

If yours is one that shipped with Mavericks OS X 10.9

you may do well to get a copy of the installer on a

USB and dedicate it as a backup or set up a second

drive or other device to safe a download of the installer

and/or a copy-clone of the Mavericks. The limited total

of RAM available may not be a problem, with both units

shipping with an SSD and not a rotational HDD. And if

you like (& if yours has OS X 10.9) you could then use

OS X 10.10 too. Be careful an 'upgrade' isn't done to

an older system by accident; surprises aren't so nice.

With either choice, be sure to get & make suitable backup

of your files in addition to a device to use Time Machine.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Mar 3, 2015 8:04 AM in response to Eddie-Spaghetti

Check out the drives offered by OWC. http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MES3FH7T2.0/ If you click on Specs, you can see what drive is in the enclosure, which is a plus. You can also buy a bare enclosure and install your drive of choice. I've been using HGST and WD Black drives. The aluminum enclosures are very good, and you can easily re-use them with other drives. Being able to easily disassemble an external drive and test the drive with a different enclosure makes it simpler to trouble-shoot if you have a problem with a drive. A USB 3 dock can also be useful for trouble-shooting drives: http://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3S3HD/

Externals from WD and Seagate come in flimsier enclosures and are bundled with software of dubious value: installing it has caused problems for some users. Some only have 1-year warranties. Skimpy power supplies in enclosures have caused problems for people also. This affected LaCie externals a few years ago; I don't know if the problem has been recitfied since then, but would hope so.

Mar 3, 2015 11:05 AM in response to Eddie-Spaghetti

The main site page has sub-sections to include Internal, External, +Thunderbolt,

and other kinds of upgrade or extra products, for a variety of useful purposes...

OWC main page with header sub-menus:

http://eshop.macsales.com/

The good ones for power and faster spin rate HDD or durable SSD with bootable

systems inside, should have a power supply of their own. Port power is limiting.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Need help about refurbished MacBook Pro 15" 2012 vs 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.