Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail Issues

I can not open mail on my desktop. Mail appears at the top of the window but never opens fully. I have had to force quit. When I open it again a window appears and says... Do you want to try to reopen its windows again? If you choose not to reopen windows, you may have to open and position the windows yourself." Following this there are two mouse over boxes which you could choose; "Don't Reopen" and "Reopen"

Can anyone help?

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 3:32 PM

1 reply

Mar 2, 2015 6:29 PM in response to peaceinallhearts

If you select Don't reopen, does it open?

IF YOU STILL HAVE PROBLEMS….

Try each step and check for results before trying next step.

1) Remove Mail saved state

• Quit Mail

• Go to User’s Library

• Go to the Containers > com.apple.mail > Data > Library > Saved Application State folder

• Locate and remove the folder called “com.apple.mail.savedState

• Re-launch Mail

2) Remove and rebuild Mail’s container

• Quit Mail

• Go to the User’s Library folder,

• Go to the Containers directory and move the folder called “com.apple.mail” to your Desktop

• Re-launch Mail

3) Repair Mail

• Quit Mail

• Go to the User’s Library folder,

• Go to Mail folder.

Select the V2 > MailData folder.

Delete any files in MailData with envelope in the name. (should be 3)

• Go to Preferences. If you find any com.apple.mail.plist files, delete these.

* Open Mail. Mail will reindex your files.

4) Test in a new User. If the problem goes away we know it’s an issue in your User’s folder.

• You’ll need your email passwords and setup available for the setup. You can save the text file in Shared folder for access in the new User.

• Go to System Preferences --> Create a New User in Users & Groups. Switch to the New User by logging out under the Apple in the Menu Bar.

• Add one email account at a time and let it sync up.

Let me know if this helps.

**Show Library Folder**

Select the Finder in the Dock. Under Go in the Menu bar > hold down the Option key and you’ll see the Library.

Mac Mail Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.