Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

155gb of data in cache folder

Hello everyone,

A few months ago, I noticed my Macbook Pro was running out of storage. Everytime I checked the storage bar from the "About my Mac" window, this "other" bar would always get larger and larger. At the moment, it shows around 270gb. Last week, a friend of mine who works at GeekSquad was helping me locate what could be in this "other" bar and taking so much storage space from my Macbook. Luckly, after a lot of search, we found out that in the cache folder, there's another folder called "com.apple.bird" that has 155gb of data in it. There are about a thousand files in there. I opened a few. Some of them showed WhatsApp conversations, some of them where just a bunch of codes. But I wasn't able to open most of them. According to him, I can delete them. But I still haven't done it because I'm afraid those files are important. Can someone please explain me what they're for? What do they do in my computer? Is it really safe to delete them? Why do I have 155gb in it while some people claim in other discussions that in their computers they have only 2-3gb in this com.apple.bird folder?

Thanks in advance,

Arthur.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), null

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 4:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 6:19 PM

First, never let any member of the "Geek Squad" touch your computer, or even smell it, for any reason.

Please back up all data, then open the iCloud pane in System Preferences. If the box marked iCloud Drive is checked, uncheck it and confirm. Your iCloud documents should be preserved on Apple's servers.

Test to see whether there's an improvement, then re-check the box and test again. It may take a noticeable amount of time for your iCloud Drive documents to resynchronize.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2015 6:19 PM in response to arthurpacifico

First, never let any member of the "Geek Squad" touch your computer, or even smell it, for any reason.

Please back up all data, then open the iCloud pane in System Preferences. If the box marked iCloud Drive is checked, uncheck it and confirm. Your iCloud documents should be preserved on Apple's servers.

Test to see whether there's an improvement, then re-check the box and test again. It may take a noticeable amount of time for your iCloud Drive documents to resynchronize.

155gb of data in cache folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.