Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I get apple to fix my MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) screen, which has always ghosted?

Since I bought my MacBook (mid-2012) the screen has had ghosting problems. Like, since day 0. At first it wasn't really a problem. I wasn't doing graphical work; I didn't need "pixel perfect." But, then I started needing to spend time in Photoshop again. The ghosting made it a frustrating and error-prone process.

My screen ghosts in about 30 seconds of being on the same image for any visible region. So, basically, if if I work at zoom 100% for 30 seconds, using the brush for a few quick strokes, then zoom in, I have to wait another 30 seconds for the false-shadows and hues to go away. It was unusable. I was busy, so I just started doing graphical work on my linux workstation with Gimp. I was too busy to get it repaired.

Finally, a year or so ago when I had some time, I brought my computer into the Apple store. I told them of my ghosting issue, along with an odd sound from the fan when the CPU was pegged. They held it overnight. They claimed they did some diagnostics and cleaned the fan. I thought, well, I don't think that will fix anything, but I signed off. The Applestore staff are very friendly. It's difficult to say, "wait, no -- this is ****** up," to them.

Of course, that fixed nothing. Why would it? I went back to being busy. Then, recently, I had more time again. I brought my laptop into the store. Since Apple had just issued a notice about my year's laptop having graphics issues, I thought, "finally, they understand there is a problem!" They took my computer and shipped it out to Texas, aware of not only the random buffer-level (graphics card) pixelation, but also about the ghosting. It came back with a new logic board and heat sink. Again, this didn't seem likely to fix it, but I didn't object at the store. They were so friendly there.

I bring it home. Unsurprisingly, the ghosting issue was unresolved. This fantastic retna screen is functionally useless for me when doing graphical work. On my Apple. A computer that lauds the creative power of graphical designers. Really?

In no world this okay (see video) for an Apple product that I spent several thousands of dollars on, with the expectation that I could do graphical work. The challenge I heard both times from Apple employees -- "how long were you on the same screen" -- is an utterly absurd question. The video answers it -- about 30 seconds. But, in any case, you can't bill this as a high resolution screen for graphical designers and artists with this problem. We spend time on single screens, fussing over single pixels for hours.

I'm willing to assume that my screen was oddly defective. And, that this was not indicative of a common fault in this particular model. But, it demands resolution. The screen needs to be replaced. I'm tired of explaining that to the Apple store.

John Nelson

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 3:46 PM

There are no replies.

How do I get apple to fix my MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) screen, which has always ghosted?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.