Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing FCPX Pro Res 422 .mov master file with both Ps and Macs

I'm using FCPX 10.1.4 on Mac OS 10.10.2. I want to put a FCPX Pro Res 422 master file on a data DVD so it can be read and poled on both a Mac and PC using Quick Time 7. I tried using Toast 12 to create a data DVD playable on both a PC and Mac but it would not open on the PC. Any ideas what the problem might be or an alternative way to do this?

Thanks

Final Cut Pro X, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3), FCPX 10.0.8

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 3:14 PM

12 replies

Mar 2, 2015 10:23 PM in response to Richard Watson

… even dataDVDs come in different 'formats', perhaps this is the reason? Have you 'finished/closed' the disk? Disks are soooo slow.

Finally, is the PC prepped to playback proRes? afaik, you have to dl and install a plug-in for Windows .....

Consider a usb-stick, fast, reliable, re-usuable 😉

To share by postal mail, abusing SDcards, that stamp-sized medias meant of cameras, comes very handy, due to size ... fits in any envelop.

Mar 10, 2015 5:08 AM in response to Richard Watson

One additional possible point of confusion: I think you wrote (or meant to write) "so it can be read and played."

A playable DVD is a very specific standard of filenames & compression sufficient to fit a two hour movie into 4.7GB of standard def video. Simply writing any video file onto a disc (maybe marked as "DVD-R") never creates a DVD that is playable in standard DVD players.

Given that, you can transfer any file (up to 4.7GB) by writing it onto a data "DVD" disc. However, as others point out, ProRes isn't windows-friendly (or good for small files) and just for seeing the video on other platforms, H.264 would be the right choice.

Sharing FCPX Pro Res 422 .mov master file with both Ps and Macs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.