Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

l*******@gmail.com cannot be used to activate this iPhone

I recently tried to update my iPhone from iOS7 to iOS8, but in the process the update failed, and it asked me to recover the phone instead. I did so but now it won't let me use my account to log in. I get the error "l******@gmail.com cannot be used to activate this iPhone" even though that is the account they suggest I use in the description above. I called Apple Support and they told me to go into my iCloud account and delete my iPhone from Find My Phone but nothing happened. Now my iPhone is linked to an account that doesn't recognize it and I can't find a way to get around it. Please help.

iPhone 4S

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 4:28 PM

5 replies

Mar 2, 2015 4:30 PM in response to Calm_Waters888

If you're the device's original owner, take the device and its original purchase receipt to a physical Apple Store.

If not, but you're able to contact the person who set the lock, send them this link and tell them to follow its instructions.

If neither of the above applies, you can't activate the device but may be able to get it refunded. Apple won't remove the lock for anyone other than the original owner(assuming they're alive.)

(123383)

Mar 2, 2015 6:11 PM in response to Niel

I am the original owner and since Apple Support already had me delete my phone from Find My Phone, I can't really follow these instructions. It still asks me to authorize my account through the one that I have since removed it from. I've been in contact with Apple multiple times, they have the original receipt, and they are reluctant to do anything at all. After the initial steps of walking me through restarting and recovering the iPhone, Apple has done nothing more to help. If I can't find a solution soon, though, I will do as you suggest and take it straight to Apple for a refund or direct help.

l*******@gmail.com cannot be used to activate this iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.