Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 4,1 to Mac Pro 4,1 Transfer Speed Help

1. I have two 4,1 Mac Pros with a 4 hard drive raid setup inside each computer which Reads and Writes at about 400 MB/s. I use one computer to Process and Transcode with Davinci Resolve and the other for editing. When I transfer files between the computers with one ethernet cable connected directly from Ethernet Port 1 on each machine I get about 90 MB/s transfer. But when I connect Ethernet Port 2 on the machines with their own cable to my Airport extreme to get internet access I get speeds of about 10 MB/s. Is there a way to prevent the speeds from dropping without having to disconnect the ethernet port which is connected to the Airport extreme each time?

2. I was also wondering what is the fastest way to transfer large video files from one computer to the other. Is there any other method I could use to transfer files between the computers that would yield faster speeds than 90 MB/s?

Thanks!

Rob

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 4:20 PM

1 reply

Mar 2, 2015 5:57 PM in response to m3rob

Computer-to-Computer transfers do not get "Routed" as long as each computer is on the same subnet. They use only the "Switch" functions of the Router.

If your speeds are that much slower, there may be a configuration problem, such as not choosing Jumbo frames, or perhaps one of your cables does not have all eight wires present (required for "Gigabit" speeds).

Network Utility can reveal the actual connection speed on a port.

Mac Pro 4,1 to Mac Pro 4,1 Transfer Speed Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.