Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not remove DNS IP address

Hi

Why in Mac OS X it is impossible to remove DNS IP address from the DNS Tab in the network configuration ?

The Mac OS is OS X Yosemite

thank you

Robert

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 9:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 9:04 AM

There could be two reasons for it. One is that the address comes from a DHCP server (most likely, your router.) In that case, you can't delete the address, but you can overwrite it with a different one.

The other possibility is that the Network preference pane is locked. If there's a closed padlock icon in the lower left corner, click it and authenticate to unlock the settings.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2015 9:04 AM in response to Vidalboone

There could be two reasons for it. One is that the address comes from a DHCP server (most likely, your router.) In that case, you can't delete the address, but you can overwrite it with a different one.

The other possibility is that the Network preference pane is locked. If there's a closed padlock icon in the lower left corner, click it and authenticate to unlock the settings.

Mar 3, 2015 12:33 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc Davis

Appreciate that quick response Linc its very nice of you.

Within the DNS tab of the Ethernet settings, the IP address and the domain name were added manually, I believed if we do this kind of operation, we should be able to remove it. I have searched with the other possibility if I understand it right. The preference might have been locked. In the network preference I do not see on the lower left corner, the unlock padlock icon; it is not present. The Mac OS X is Yosemite; I do not remember if the padlock was displayed in the previous version of Mac.

On the other hand, you have inspired me of a solution, the only way that I thought of to remove the DNS is by creating a new Ethernet configuration.without the DNS settings in the network preference. It does work in this manner.

Great by your response ideas comes.

Thanks again Linc

have a good day

Can not remove DNS IP address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.