Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i reset my airport extreme 802.11n (4th gen) password wirelessly, with iphone or ipad?

can i reset my airport extreme 802.11n (4th gen) password wirelessly, with iphone or ipad?

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 9:52 PM

9 replies

Mar 3, 2015 11:18 PM in response to pomaika!

As soon as I did a soft reset to airport extreme, the arport utility dropped my airport icon/connection for 5-minutes while it "searched for an airport connection". After the 5-minutes, the airport extreme icon appeared in the utility and my wifi was restored, but I still cannot login to the airport to make config changes as I hoped I could. If I do a hard boot/factory reset, would I be able to reconfigure airport w/the airport utility? Would hate to lose security configs (not default settings) then be unable to reconfig w/ipad and airport utility. Just need a temp wifi config solution until I can replace a stolen mbp. Thanks.

Mar 4, 2015 2:02 AM in response to pomaika!

The airport is behaving exactly as expected.. when you soft reset the passwords all return to default.

Since you are accessing over wireless you are effectively cutting off the branch you are sitting on.. you must immediately reconfigure the wireless in the ipad to connect to the airport using the default password which is blank.. ie nothing.

Once into the airport utility you can discover the original wireless password?? not sure of this.. and in fact all passwords or change them.. that is completely up to you. I can certainly change them.. see post below.

You can of course also reset but you will lose the current setup.

Mar 4, 2015 2:19 AM in response to LaPastenague

I logged into the my TC wireless and then pressed the reset for 1sec to start a soft reset.

The network immediately dropped out.

User uploaded file

Go straight back to settings and reconnect to the wireless with no password.

Then go back to the airport utility and you can then see the message you have a soft reset in effect.

User uploaded file

Click on edit settings.

User uploaded file

Now you can jump in and change the password.. let me see if the original password is hidden away somewhere in there.

Yes.. so there is an easy route to this..

In your advanced setup you can see the passwords.

Click on advanced.

User uploaded file

Go to show passwords.

User uploaded file

Viola.. passwords..

User uploaded file

Mar 5, 2015 11:29 PM in response to LaPastenague

The airport icon disappeared soon as I pressed the reset button, and utilites displayed a message saying no available airport to connect (or something similar). After the 5-minutes, the airport icon n reappeared w/restored settings. I dont get the disbled icons as in your post but, Must be a rason, maybe power or just hardware failing but I'll try again. Thanks for your post and the screenshots.

Mar 6, 2015 3:18 AM in response to pomaika!

The airport icon disappeared soon as I pressed the reset button, and utilites displayed a message saying no available airport to connect (or something similar).

Correct.. I had to go immediately back to the settings and login to the TC again.. is this not possible.. then do a full factory reset not a soft reset and then it will not disappear.. it will stay and you can redo the setup.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.