Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean my Mac

Recently I've been getting a lot of pop-up ads on my computer and I want to know, what is a good app or website that will get rid of all the viruses and ads on my computer???

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 9:05 PM

11 replies

Mar 3, 2015 10:01 AM in response to cheeseypizza

There is no need to download anything to solve this problem.

You may have installed one or more of the common types of ad-injection malware. Follow the instructions on this Apple Support page to remove it. It's been reported that some variants of the "VSearch" malware block access to the page. If that happens, start in safe mode by holding down the shift key at the startup chime, then try again.

Back up all data before making any changes.

One of the steps in the article is to remove malicious Safari extensions. Do the equivalent in the Chrome and Firefox browsers, if you use either of those. If Safari crashes on launch, skip that step and come back to it after you've done everything else.

If you don't find any of the files or extensions listed, or if removing them doesn't stop the ad injection, ask for further instructions.

Make sure you don't repeat the mistake that led you to install the malware. It may have come from an Internet cesspit such as "Softonic" or "CNET Download." Never visit either of those sites again. You might also have downloaded it from an ad in a page on some other site. The ad would probably have included a large green button labeled "Download" or "Download Now" in white letters. The button is designed to confuse people who intend to download something else on the same page. If you ever download a file that isn't obviously what you expected, delete it immediately.

Malware is also found on websites that traffic in pirated content such as video. If you, or anyone else who uses the computer, visit such sites and follow prompts to install software, you can expect more of the same, and worse, to follow. Never install any software that you downloaded from a bittorrent, or that was downloaded by someone else from an unknown source.

In the Security & Privacy pane of System Preferences, select the General tab. The radio button marked Anywhere should not be selected. If it is, click the lock icon to unlock the settings, then select one of the other buttons. After that, don't ignore a warning that you are about to run or install an application from an unknown developer.

Still in System Preferences, open the App Store or Software Update pane and check the box marked

Install system data files and security updates (OS X 10.10 or later)

or

Download updates automatically (OS X 10.9 or earlier)

if it's not already checked.

Mar 3, 2015 6:15 PM in response to Linc Davis

Perhaps I misunderstood a minor part of your answer to cheeseypizza re:Clean My Mac so I thought I'd ask for clarification. Is there a problem in general with CNET? You mentioned 'CNET Download' as an example of an 'internet cesspit'. Is there a difference between CNET and CNET Download, other than the obvious inclusion of the word 'download'? Thanks.

Mar 3, 2015 8:37 PM in response to dazed

No, I believe you will only install malware when you download and install something from them. It was once a reasonable site for downloads, but now the difference is so obvious between their download methods and those from the developers.

You should be safe visiting these sites, although I would tend to clear their cookies if you go there regularly. It is not a site I have any intention of returning to soon.

Cheers and good luck

Pete

Mar 4, 2015 1:41 PM in response to cheeseypizza

Belated thanks for answering my questions about CNET.

Interestingly, at least to me, is that the only reason it occurs to me to read something in CNET is b/c Yahoo (no snickers, please) will have a headline/article blip about something to do with Apple, iPhone6 in particular. I keep meaning to go to a nearby branch of my local library to read certain periodicals that I either don't want to fork out $$ for or find it's easier on my eyes and old-fashioned brain to read the print version. CNET will be on the that list.

Thanks again.

Mar 4, 2015 3:58 PM in response to Allan Eckert

Hi everybody my name is Carmen and I am a beginner in this field of troubleshooting a Mac. I've had my Mac for four years in a row and now I had for first time my really bad moment. I do not know what I did or what I accepted but for now i have a very disturbing adware or malware. I cannot even identified what it is. I just copied the link and it just appeared from this http://news-8408-latest.riskhov.ru (I copied it) When I clicked on the "x" button to close it it appeared another window that brought me worse things!! ***** stuff "adultyum.info". It got unbearable and I really had a bad time I hade more and more emerging windows and finally my Mac does not starts up! SOS I need some help!!!!! I cannot do anything and every time i want to run up my Mac I have to do it by using the safe mode: however, I cannot work because my Mac is really slow. It doesn't even recognize SD cards o USB.

PS: I ran adware medic, virus barrier, bitdefender.... None gives me any alert of virus malware or related!

HELP!!!

Mar 4, 2015 4:06 PM in response to Carmy AB

Read Phony "tech support" / "ransomware" popups and web pages.

The URL you posted isn't loading anything for me, but it sounds as though the above will be applicable. If it does not resolve the problem, read How to install adware.

You do not need to download or install anything to fix it.

If you require them, Apple's instructions are linked in the Recovery Procedure near the end of that document. Read and follow them carefully. Pay particular attention to the easily overlooked passages directing you to restart your Mac when required.

Clean my Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.