Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Apache Open Office on OS X 10.9.5

The download of Open Office that I had originally stopped working - twice now - fixed it with updates from AOO. But it's stopped for the 3rd time and very inconvenient because I have a ton of docs I can't open or revise, etc.

Giving up on the old AOO as a lost cause, I just downloaded the updated AOO 4.1.1 for OSX 10.9.5 and I get this message:

“OpenOffice” can’t be opened because it is from an unidentified developer.

Your security preferences allow installation of only apps from the Mac App Store and identified developers.

“OpenOffice” is on the disk image “Apache_OpenOffice_4.1.1_MacOS_x86-64_install_en-US-3.dmg”. Safari downloaded this disk image today at 9:07 PM from sourceforge.net."

So my problem stems from my Mac. Can anyone help please, as this is a pretty serious situation? Also worries me that I'm overloading the memory on my miniMac because I assume the first AOO downloaded still exists. Thanks in anticipation that one of you geniuses will be able to advise! It's a bit of an emergency as job searching and can't access my resume.

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3), This happened without my knowledge.

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 6:36 PM

2 replies

Mar 3, 2015 8:56 AM in response to Mini Mac User

You can try a few things. First, try right-clicking on the OO application in the Applications folder and choose Open. See if you get a caution rather than a prohibition message. Second, in System Preferences>Security>General, since you're sure of the OO download source, temporarily pick Anywhere and open OO, then switch back to the original setting.

Finally, you might want to take a look at LibreOffice.

Mar 3, 2015 12:20 PM in response to Mini Mac User

Applications that are not sourced from the OS X App Store will provide the “can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer” message when first double-clicked after download. You need to right-click on the application, choose open, and from that point forward, it will behave normally when you double-click it to launch, or single-click from the Launchpad, or Dock itself.

Using Apache Open Office on OS X 10.9.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.