Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot remove phishing warning when I open Safari? Any help appreciated.

philshing warning when I open Safari. Security error. And gives a helpline phone number. Www.pcassists.info

Macbook Pro 2009, Mac OS X (10.6.1)

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 8:11 PM

16 replies

Mar 6, 2017 4:57 PM in response to versenumber2

Re: versenumber2

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that and no longer get the phishing site but still no internet connection in either browser, even though it shows I'm connected to my SSID. At first I got an NSURLErrorDomain (no number code) in FireFox, then everytime after, I get nothing...not even a time out error. Safari I get nothing. I type in simple names or urls, i.e., yahoo.com, usp.com, yahoo, ups, etc.

A couple of things to note. I have data turned on and cannot access the network through LTE. I don't have the symbol at the top that shows you have a broadband connection. My VPN cannot connect either which is a dead giveaway I don't have either type of connectivity to the internet.

Ayny other ideas?

Please go to one of the iPhone forums, as this forum is for Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

<Using iPhone>

This would be a better place to post a question about using your iPhone.

Mar 5, 2017 10:19 PM in response to apgeaigej

I have the same problem but on my iPhone 6s. If I go into FireFox I get a phishing page (captive.php) asking for my router username and password. If I go into Safari, I can't even get an internet connection. I'm 3 feet away from my gateway (comcast's modem/router combo - Cisco Docsys 3.0).

Any ideas? As of now I cannot access the internet on my iPhone.

Mar 6, 2017 6:28 AM in response to versenumber2

versenumber2 wrote:

I have the same problem but on my iPhone 6s. If I go into FireFox I get a phishing page (captive.php) asking for my router username and password. If I go into Safari, I can't even get an internet connection. I'm 3 feet away from my gateway (comcast's modem/router combo - Cisco Docsys 3.0).

Any ideas? As of now I cannot access the internet on my iPhone.

For iPhone Safair, go to Settings -> Safari -> Clear History and Website Data

There should be something similar for Firefox. Either via Settings, or inside Firefox itself.

Mar 6, 2017 3:44 PM in response to BobHarris

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that and no longer get the phishing site but still no internet connection in either browser, even though it shows I'm connected to my SSID. At first I got an NSURLErrorDomain (no number code) in FireFox, then everytime after, I get nothing...not even a time out error. Safari I get nothing. I type in simple names or urls, i.e., yahoo.com, usp.com, yahoo, ups, etc.

A couple of things to note. I have data turned on and cannot access the network through LTE. I don't have the symbol at the top that shows you have a broadband connection. My VPN cannot connect either which is a dead giveaway I don't have either type of connectivity to the internet.

Ayny other ideas?

Mar 30, 2015 12:44 PM in response to Kappy

How to remove phishing scam on Safari.

Just had same thing happen to me.

Had to do screen sharing w Apple Care Support to solve.

••••Recommendation provided by Apple Care Support••••

To get out of Safari- while holding down Shift Key, click on Safari icon on side bar.

This resets Safari and ur closed out of phishing scam page.

DO NOT call phone number on pop up.

What pop up scam looks like:

User uploaded file

Apr 5, 2015 8:35 PM in response to gatsby427

A quick and simple solution to this problem is to go to your utilities and open up the Activity Monitor and Force Quit that specific tab or you can force quit Safari as a whole.

Next Turn off your Wifi. if you don't , every time you open Safari this phishing scam will continue to pop up. Also you should probably clear your cache by clicking Safari at the top of your screen going to -----> preferences and clicking remove all website data.

Turn your Wi-Fi back on and everything should be back to normal

Apr 21, 2015 8:56 AM in response to deqt50

None of these tips helped me! Holding down shift while clicking on safari in the menu bar did nothing. I turned off wifi which didn't make a difference because this is on my imac, and it's wired to the modem, so the pop up kept coming back. I am now using a different browser. I can't get in safari to clear the cache, and Help is no help at all in telling me other ways to do it.

Apr 21, 2015 9:54 AM in response to worksfromhome

Well, no, turning wireless off isn't going to help when you're using a wired Ethernet connection. Instead, unplug the Ethernet cable from your Mac and then repeat force quitting Safari and relaunching with the shift key held down. If the page with the scam still appears, you should be able to clear it since it can't contact the remote server to push the popup onto the page again. Reconnect the Ethernet cable.

Cannot remove phishing warning when I open Safari? Any help appreciated.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.