Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Restore Unknown Error 53?

So my father just sent me an iPhone 6 after we switched service providers, and while it seems like he had the phone for a month or two before he gave it to me, he never updated the software. Fool that I am, I tried updating to iOS 8.1.3 even though the only thing that wasn't working was my Touch ID.

Now, my phone is stuck in recovery mode and each time I try to update or restore it gets about half way through the process before an window pops up saying "The iPhone could not be restored. An unknown error occurred. (53)" I've looked around a bit to see if there are any fixes for the error, but nobody seems to have anything other than getting their phone replaced at a store (at least, not that they've posted about).

Anybody know what this error is or how to fix it? I'm not entirely sure that I even can bring it into a store for replacement since I have no idea when (or where) the phone was purchased.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 7:50 PM

There are no replies.

iPhone Restore Unknown Error 53?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.