Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to tell if your mac has a virus

hi,

just wondering is there anyway you can tell if your mac has a virus or anything of that kind? is there something on the mac- like some sort of health check you can run to see this?

MacBook Air

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 9:54 PM

3 replies

Mar 3, 2015 6:59 AM in response to Chocoholic123

Chocoholic123 wrote:

hi,

just wondering is there anyway you can tell if your mac has a virus or anything of that kind? is there something on the mac- like some sort of health check you can run to see this?

There is currently no known malware that is capable of infecting a properly updated Mac. Installing anti-virus software to look for malware is likely to cause performance and/or stability problems, report false positives, find and improperly remove Windows malware or phishing e-mails (which in turn can corrupt your Mail mailboxes), etc. Don't do it.

Why do you ask about this? If you're just trying to learn more about this topic, see my Mac Malware Guide. If you are having advertising pop-ups in your web browser, you may have installed some kind of adware. In that case, see my Adware Removal Guide. If you are having some other problem, please describe that problem so we can better assist you.

(Fair disclosure: I may receive compensation from links to my sites, TheSafeMac.com and AdwareMedic.com.)

how to tell if your mac has a virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.