Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 7 partition on imac 21.5" mid-2011

hi,

I want to partition my imac so I can go from Yosemite to Windows 7. When using boot camp, I do not have the option "Create a windows 7 install disk" although I have a disk drive on my mac.

Can someone help me with the installation ?

Lea

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 21.5" mid-2011

Posted on Mar 2, 2015 7:05 PM

3 replies

Mar 2, 2015 7:16 PM in response to lea.guitard

1. You need a physical DVD. If you have a valid ISO, you can burn it to a physical DVD - Disk Utility 12.x: Burn a disk image to a CD or DVD.

2. Your Optical drive should be functional.

3. Run Bootcamp Assistant. Check both boxes (Download Software, Install Windows).

4. You will need a USB2 (not a USB3) flash drive, from which BC drivers will be used. It will be erased and formatted to FAT32, and BCA will download drivers from Apple servers.

Please see How to install Windows using Boot Camp - Apple Support

Most Macs with built-in Optical drives do not provide the option to create a USB-based Windows Installer and require physical media. Some 2011-2012 Notebooks are an exception.

Helpful links -

Boot Camp: System requirements for Microsoft Windows operating systems - Apple Support

Boot Camp 5.1: Frequently asked questions - Apple Support

https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/mac/5.0/help/#/bcmp173b3bf2

Windows 7 partition on imac 21.5" mid-2011

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.