Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

vmWare Display settings for guest OS Win7 Pro and others not saving

Mid-2014 MBP 15" with Retina, Intel iris Pro, 16GB, 512SSD. Running vmWare 7.1.2 on Yosemite 10.1.2:

- Win7 Pro VM setup with 8GB, 2 'cores', 128GB SSD.

- the Display settings for the Win7 Pro guest won't persist when switching to and from Mac desktop

- Doesn't matter if Full Screen or in Window, it defaults to 1140 x 900 or something like that, and will not keep settings made after Full Screen is selected

- Having done some research before coming here: I have uninstalled and re-installed vmTools. I have tried it with 'Use Full Retina Display' setting in vmWare guest settings, doesn't make a difference other than the default size is either the maximum Retina resolution for the Win7 Pro desktop or the 1440x900 default when the 'Use Retina..' setting is set.

- Apparently this is an Apple bug with Retina MBP and not vmWare, according to vmWare. ;}

Thought, suggestions, other?

Thanks folks!

-=-Dennis

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Franken'Mac-Mini,iPad3, iPhone6, 2014 MBP

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 12:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 9:21 AM

If you haven't already, I'd suggest posting your question on Fusion's Forum.

2 replies

Mar 3, 2015 1:11 PM in response to FatMac-MacPro

Now having worked with VMware support. Here's the fix for anyone experiencing this problem on a rMBP with Fusion 7.x and running Win7Pro or others as guests, that are not retaining the display settings when either rebooting the guest, pausing the guest or switching between the Mac desktop and the GuestOS desktop.

1. Find a file named WMwareResolutionSet it can be located under ProgramFiles or ProgramFile(x86)-->VMware-->VMware Tools-->

2. Move, do not copy, this file out of this directory, onto your Desktop

3. Restart the Guest

4. Whatever resolution settings you have set, should now be retained

This assumes you have already UN-checked 'Use Full Resolution..' Retina display checkbox in VMware Settings-->Display.

vmWare Display settings for guest OS Win7 Pro and others not saving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.