Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook not charging.

Hi all.

My old MacBook recently had a 'service battery' notification appear under the battery icon in the status bar. My battery continued to function normally for a little while at first but now it will not charge. When my MacBook is plugged in the battery's charge will not increase but just sustain whatever charge is left (currently 96%) but the charger light is green.

When I request a system report the battery cycle count is only at 534 (I believe the battery is meant to hold 80% of its charge capacity for 1000 charges but I could be wrong).

What is wrong with my battery? Is there anything I can do? Will it need to be replaced? If so, how would I go about replacing it?

Thanks.

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Charging Cycle Count: 534

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 12:46 AM

2 replies

Mar 4, 2015 7:27 AM in response to MG54321

Hello MG54321,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

The Service Battery condition indicates that the battery is not functioning normally, and will require you to take the computer in for service. To obtain service, please follow the information in the article below.

Apple - Support - Service Answer Center

OS X Yosemite: Battery conditions

Take care,

Alex H.

MacBook not charging.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.