Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Pages able to output a high resolution print ready file for a print company

Hello All,

Can pages output a high resolution PDF for a printer.

Thanks you,

Regards,

Nigel

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 3:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 4:16 AM

Yes, so long as you have used high resolution images and no transparency.

There are other provisos as well, but far too many to list here.

Peter

5 replies

Mar 3, 2015 4:39 AM in response to Nigel Baker

Not Apple, really you should talk to your Printer they will tell you what they need.

Quick tip. Block out your work and then when it is ready, go through all the images making sure they are cropped to view and at the optimal resolution of 300dpi and sharpened and color corrected for that size and replaced in the final document, before Exporting or Printing to Best quality pdf.

You will have to work carefully and thoroughly, particularly making sure that the black text is in fact 100%k and not a cmyk or rgb mix, and any cmyk mix you maybe used in flat color areas is within the total ink coverage set by your Printer which is usually under 320%.

There is no crop or bleed for any version of Pages, unless you build those into your documents manually, and Pages 5 has all sorts of other problems.

Peter

Aug 25, 2015 1:54 PM in response to PeterBreis0807

Thanks to Nigel for asking the question and Peter for the information about transparency. Peter, can you elaborate on how the output engine "decides" when to drop the PDF output to 72dpi?

I had a very simple, graphics-only design I was trying to do in Pages -- it included a couple of color-filled boxes (aka "Shapes") and colored text. For the life of me, I could not figure out how to get it out of Pages in a higher resolution. The only solutions seemed to be to make the overall image size massive, let it export at 72dpi, and then adjust size in Preview.

In the end, I switched over to PowerPoint (a crime, I know) and used the PNG export functionality. I re-created the identical design, and PPT allowed me to export to PNG with a resolution of my choosing. Strange that Pages would not have equivalent or better export capability...

Is Pages able to output a high resolution print ready file for a print company

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.