Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

UI / Scrolling Lag

Hello,

I bought the mid 2014 ( 15inch Retina, 2.2 GHz Quad Core, 16 GB Ram, Intel Iris Pro, OSX Yosemite 10.10.2 ) yesterday and I am experiencing UI Lag and Heavy Scrolling Lag on bigger pictures 3648 x 2736 pixels ( http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/92/Big_Sur_Coast_California.JPG ) , while the mac book air next to me (13 inch , mid 2012) is experiencing no lag at all.

It happens to me on 1440 x 900 Retina, 1680 x 1050 Retina and 1920 x 1200 Retina resolution. After alot of frustration and research an app called "Display Menu" which allowed me to even use high resolutions as 2880 x 1800 in non Retina Mode and I had literally no lag at all.

Now to my following questions:

1) Is the technology not capable of handling these kind of retina resolutions?

2) Is my mac book "damaged"?

3) Will future update of Yosemite fix this kind of issues?

I am really not picky about lags or little issues that will be flattened out, but as someone that works in the webdesign / printdesign field i cannot use this mac book productive.

Thanks for reading and a constructive feedback

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 6:08 AM

10 replies

Mar 5, 2015 4:41 AM in response to lecturedjack

lecturedjack wrote:

You are not the only one.

I have a mid 2014 rMBP 13 inches with 16g ram. It lags when i switch between desktop or use mission control. It run very smooth if i do a reboot, but the performance gradually degrades... I haven't experienced what they call "buttery smooth" on my 5 months old mac yet

waiting for 10.10.3... if it still persists.... well...

Hey,

thank your for your response.

Today I installed the 10.10.3 Public Beta but sadly it did not improve a lot. The guy at my reseller apple store told me to downgrade to mavericks. But the problem is , since i never had mavericks before i do not see it in the app store and i read apple removed it.

do you think i should bring my mac book back to the seller?

Mar 31, 2015 12:33 PM in response to Vu457x9S

Ok that's good to hear.

I'm not sure and I don't think anyone really knows when the issue with be fixed.

The only other apple products that run pretty smooth that I've tried are the Macbook Airs

and the Macbook pro non-retina. But you know the screen are not close to that retina

quality but they run smooth.

The iMac 27 inch non-retina with the 2560x1440p resolution seems to run smooth as

well but it's not a laptop it's an all in one computer that has a very nice looking screen.

I'm not sure if we are "allowed" to mention other manufactures but I hear that

the Dell XPS 13 2015 is really good and it has a very nice screen on it.

UI / Scrolling Lag

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.