Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I make a disk image of Yosemite in Yosemite?

Hello,

Is it possible to create a disk image of an entire OS X in Yosemite? I would like to create a disk image from time to time, so that if something goes wrong, I can go back. I prefer a disk image instead of using the Time Machine.

In Disk Utility, "Disk Image from Folder" and "Disk Image from disk1...", but when I click on "Disk Image from disk1...," it gives me an error saying that all applications should be closed. All my applications are closed...What am I missing?

Thank you.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 8:22 AM

7 replies

Mar 3, 2015 11:28 AM in response to eugene262

eugene262 wrote:

I have used it and I am familiar with it, but I would like to create an image after I install the apps that I use. If something goes wrong, I can restore from that image instead of doing a clean install and reinstalling everything again.

When then that is extremely simple as OT has suggested. Simply get an external HD and buy either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper (I believe each are about $40) and create a bootable clone. Personally I use SD however it seems most others on these forums use CCC. Both do essentially the same thing so it comes down to personal preference. You can clone your entire drive, I have mine set up to do nightly backups at 2AM and it simply updates any new or changed files so my backups only take 5-10 minutes at the most. The initial backup will take longer as it's taking a snap shot of your entire HD.

How do I make a disk image of Yosemite in Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.