Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

relinking media in libraries from before 10.1

I want to know how to relink to media originally ingested with the timestamp clip name (inFCPX 10.0) to media ingested in FCPX 10.1 which uses the original filename for the clip name.

so-

We have libraries created with FCPX a year or more ago using FCPX 10.0, in those when importing clips the source media name used the timestamp convention e.g. '2014-02-07 16_52_43 (id).mov', all footage has been imported off canon C300 cards, which are backed up separately (not as camera archives through fcpx unfortunately)

when this footage is ingested again - same clips from the same camera card folders - the new naming convention is the clip name as seem on the card e.g. '013155.mov'

when I try to relink to this media it is looking for the filename with the old timestamp name. Is there any way of forcing it to look for the new name? it seems all the metadata is there as you can rename the footage in the library to the original names but this doesn't seem to affect the clip name that it is trying to find when relinking.

one thing, it will link files on an individual basis but not as a batch. We are dealing with hundreds of clips at a time so individually relinking is not an option.

thanks anyone!

specs -

Mac pros 2010 running on xsan fibre, all on OS Mavericks, FCPX 10.1.4

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 5:46 AM

2 replies

Mar 3, 2015 6:58 AM in response to Kinamo

Bit of a long shot: I wonder what would happen were you to append the time-stamped title to the card-named title for the first file in the clip folder. (In other words, something like 2014-02-07 16_52_43 013155.mov) See whether that is a sufficient hint to get the entire folder to relink.

Once imported you can of course apply a custom date created name, but thinking about it, I'm not sure what that gets you in the re-link process.

Russ

Mar 3, 2015 7:10 AM in response to Russ H

Hey russ,

thanks for the suggestion. I might have managed to answer my own question, so for the benefit of anyone else reading the thread this is what I did -

1. Create an FCPX camera archive from the original backed up camera card folder. I did this by creating a .dmg file in disk utilities, then mounting, then create an archive from the FCPX import dialog.

2. select offline media then File/import/Re-import from Camera/Archive'

this then reimported the footage perfectly and seems to get round any clip naming issues, interestingly it names the reimport clips with the old timestamp name rather than the new clip name version.

anyway, job done!

relinking media in libraries from before 10.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.