Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Command R does not work for reset on iMac.

I'm trying to follow the instructions in order to factory reset my iMac.

I'm holding down Command R when I boot up, but nothing happens. I just end up on the desk top with the computer beeping because I'm holding down the two keys.

My SW level is 10.6.8

This is the original white intel based iMac.

Any suggestions ?

Christer

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 3, 2017 1:17 PM

It is not a good idea (and dangerous) to publish your email address in an open online forum - the hosts will most likely remove it shortly. If the person you addressed still frequents the forum (or anyone else who would know how), they can easily just respond here in this thread.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 3, 2017 1:17 PM in response to mayal

It is not a good idea (and dangerous) to publish your email address in an open online forum - the hosts will most likely remove it shortly. If the person you addressed still frequents the forum (or anyone else who would know how), they can easily just respond here in this thread.

Mar 3, 2015 8:54 AM in response to Christer Hiort1

You can't reinstall the System if you are booted from the disk you are trying to install on. You have to be booted either from the install disk or from another bootable disk.

When you hold the C key down it should boot into the install disk (provided it's the one that came with your Mac or is a retail Snow Leopard disk - if you are trying to boot from an install disk that came bundled with another Mac it may not work, though you should get an error message, and you won't be able to install anyway.

Holding the option key should bring up the startup manager, which shows you icons for the available boot disks - in this case the internal disk and the installer disk.

If your Mac is simply ignoring the instruction to boot from the correct disk then the CD drive may be faulty. Try testing whether you can mount some other CD in it.

Mar 3, 2015 10:17 AM in response to babowa

Note that if you do this your Mac will continue to try to boot from the install disk (assuming it was able to in the first place) so you will need to hold the mouse key down when rebooting to eject the disk. The Mac will then spend some time hunting for the disk before defaulting to the internal disk; if that boots successfully you will need to go into the Start Disk prefs again and revert to the internal disk.

Command R does not work for reset on iMac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.