Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Older Airports not supported in Yosemite/Airport Utility? Or what?

That Apple love/hate thing again. I want to edit the settings on older Airport devices and hope for help.

I have been apple-ing for years and have a multitude of older devices - most of which I don't want to use but...!

The old "this version of airport utility doesn't support this base station" software developed obsolescence? I have an old Airport Express (the whacky one) and an old Airport (flying saucer) working as extenders/Airtunes conduits around the house. They are doing the job through a process of ordered software updating.

Since Mavericks, I first got the "this version of airport utility doesn't support this base station". It is set-up before disappearance of the device in Airport Utility and these messages happening., delivers internet to the media devices (DVDR, amps, TV etc) for updating purposes and even catchup TV. It does the job. Luckily I had "slaved" it to my newer Airport Extreme and have not needed to edit it.

The Airport Express (also slaved to the main network) has worked fine - but can be seen in the Airport Utility.

However, I bought an additional Airport Express (same model) to extend into a new room - and hey - "this version of airport utility doesn't support this base station" and it does not appear in Airport Utility.

Firstly friends - can anyone offer advice on making this little blighter work?

Secondly Apple - can future versions of Apple Utility support older, existing Apple products which (in my home at least) are working fine. This is bad customer relations, I think.

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 8:32 AM

1 reply

Mar 3, 2015 12:12 PM in response to robertchapmanames

After waiting 7 years from the time that the older AirPort products were discontinued, Apple removed support of the older AirrPorts when they introduced the Lion operating system a few years ago.

So, in order to administer the older AirPorts, you will need.....or be able to borrow for 10-15 minutes.....a Mac running an older operating system like Leopard or Snow Leopard, or a PC with AirPort Utility installed on the product.

Older AirPorts would include the "round" or "dome" shaped AirPort Extreme and the A1084 and A1088 versions of the AirPort Express.

The version of AirPort Utility that you have on your Mac at this time will support any AirPort Express that was been sold since 2008, as well as any AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule introduced since that time.

Older Airports not supported in Yosemite/Airport Utility? Or what?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.