Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Problem

I have an iMac (Intel) model running Yosemite 10.10.2 and it seems as though I am having startup issues. This iMac sits on a rolling cart and for long periods of time the cart will not be plugged into any outlet. So this means the iMac will not get any trickle of power. Occasionally, when I plug in the cart to an outlet, I turn on the Mac, I get a folder with a question mark. Obviously, this means it can't find the startup disk. I usually have to manually turn off the Mac and turn it back on while holding the OPTION key to select the startup disk then the Mac is working again. When the cart is plugged into an electric outlet, I don't have any problems with the startup of this Mac.

This problem happens frequently. What can I do to prevent this problem from happening and how do I fix this problem?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 6:47 AM

8 replies

Mar 3, 2015 11:53 AM in response to pfisher112

Nobody can suggest anything. I ran into this problem again today. I had the cart plugged into the electrical outlet and the Mac was on. I shut down the Mac and unplug the power strip on the cart. I wheel the cart down to the cafeteria and plug the cart in to outlet and turn on the Mac. I got the same thing, a folder with a question mark. I turned off the Mac and held down the OPTION key and selected the proper disk to boot off. After that, the Mac works fine.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Mar 4, 2015 12:21 PM in response to rkaufmann87

This iMac is a 21 inch, late 2012 model. This is a constant problem where the cart and Mac is used on a frequent basis for meetings and events. Again, when the cart is plugged into an outlet, the cart supplies the power to the iMac. After I get the Mac up and running, the Mac works fine. As long as there is power going to the cart and to the Mac, everything is good. The moment you unplug the cart from the outlet for any period of time, the Mac will NOT find the startup disk.

BTW, I only replied one time to my original post many, many hours later before anyone responded. I need help on this problem.

Mar 6, 2015 11:15 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Ok. I tried to reset the PRAM but the Mac ignores the keyboard commands. Another words, I turn off the Mac and turn it back on while holding Option-Command P + R. The Mac seems to ignore the command. I have tried another keyboard and I get the same thing. I have turned on the Mac and waiting for the first chime then hold down those keys. Nothing. The Mac will still boot with the folder and question mark. I have even unplugged the power cable from the Mac itself then plugged it back in and still nothing.

I do know that I have to enter a password to reveal the startup disks. Perhaps this is password is causing the problem?

Mar 6, 2015 11:25 AM in response to pfisher112

The ? mark indicates the computer cannot find the startup volume, take the machine in for professional evaluation to your local Apple Store or AASP. It could be as simple as a crashed HD that needs replacing. As long as you have been backing up then you have little to worry about, just a bit of expense to have the HD replaced if I am correct.

Mar 9, 2015 8:38 AM in response to pfisher112

pfisher112 wrote:

The question mark also indicates the firmware cannot find the bootable drive or partition which is the problem I am experiencing on this Mac. Each time, I have to hold down the OPTION key and password to enter the startup manager. Can I reflash the firmware to MAYBE solve this problem OR is it a HD problem?

In order to update the firmware (if it's necessary at all) you do so via The Mac App Store updates section. However in order to get to this option you have to be able to boot the computer. My suggestion as a I mentioned in my last post has not changed, take it in for service!

iMac Problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.