Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issues with AirPort wifi to iPhone/iPads. MacBook Pro OK.

Have MacBook Pro, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5S, iPad 2nd Gen and iPad Air that I connect to wifi using AirPort Time Capsule 802.11n.

All devices are up to date. Laptop is OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

I changed ISP's yesterday from ATT U-Verse to DirectTV (delivered by my HOA). They provided a Motorola cable modem. After much ado and angst, I finally got the laptop to connect via wifi. Had to leave modem, AirPort and laptop unplugged and powered off overnight, then this morning I connected the cable coax from the wall and the cable to the AirPort and powered on the modem, waited 30 minutes, then powered on AirPort (with only the cable for the modem plugged in). That part worked and my laptop is now ok on wifi.

I checked the AirPort Utility and can see the MAC addresses for the iPads and iPhones show intermittently in the Wireless Client list for the AirPort. The iPads/Phones try to connect, but never make it.

I have selected to forget the network on each iPhone/Pad and then selected and re-entered the WPA2-Personal password, but no luck.

Can anyone assist?

Time Capsule 802.11n (3rd Gen), Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 7:43 AM

15 replies

Mar 3, 2015 10:01 AM in response to pbdvp

More on this issue:

I realized my Kindles also do not connect to wifi. Went back to the Airport Utility, saw the Kindle MAC address for a minute n the , then it disappeared.

In trying to get the other devices (specifically the iPad Air) I also followed another post suggesting that on iPad I go the General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings then power off and then on and then try again with entering the password. This did not solve the issue. HOWEVER, now when I go to the Airport Utility shows the <Caution icon with !) and says "DEVICE NOT FOUND: <Device Name> was previously part of your network. Check that it is in range of your netwrok and is plugged into a power outlet. Forgetting this device removes it from this network. " There is a button to Forget.

Apparently, the reset wiped out the iPad's name because in General->about, the name is set to "Unknown-Host" and not the iPad's name.... but it was never the device name shown in the Airport Utility Device Not Found message.

I will now start the research on the Name change on the iPad.....

😕

Mar 3, 2015 11:10 AM in response to pbdvp

I read carefully, but I cannot find anywhere in your posts where you first reset the Time Capsule back to factory default settings, and then set it up again. Did you do this?

This type of reset is critical whenever you are changing your Internet Service Provider (ISP), or you change the modem to which the Time Capsule connects. You have changed both your provider and the modem.

That being the case, we can likely help, but you will need to be willing to start all over again with a factory default reset on the Time Capsule and then move forward one step at a time. This will require a lot of patience. You will be changing network names and passwords, something that you might not want to do.

So, you may want to wait for other advice from other users.

If you decide to try our advice, we will first need the make and model number of the new cable modem that you have received before we can proceed.

Mar 3, 2015 1:05 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob,

Thank you for your prompt reply!

I did try to reset (twice), but I guess I didn't do it right because the old settings never went away. I had followed the instructions posted by Tesserax. I might not have let it run long enough before I powered it down again. Here's what I did:

Powered down Modem, AirPort and laptop

Performed factory reset steps: Disconnected power cord, Pressed and held the reset button while I reconnected the power cord. Continued to hold the reset button until the amber light flashed rapidly.

The next instruction was to power down again after reset. The first try at the reset I let it sit longer (at least 15 minutes) and the light remained amber blinking slowly (never went solid and never went green). When that didn't change the settings, I redid the reset button steps and I powered down very soon after the amber light stopped flashing rapidly. That also failed to reset the settings.

I read further posts and decided to unhook everything from the modem, AirPort and my laptop and left it all off overnight. The result was that my laptop was ok wirelessly but nothing else is.

I'd be grateful if you could help me proceed as you've suggested with doing the reset again. I have a Motorola SurfBoard Model SB5101 and have written down its MAC address. (also have the Mac address for everything else 😉). As for changing Network and Passwords.... that's easy as long as I can get things working again!

I'm ready when you are! (and thanks again!)

Pam

P.S. Is there any other information I will need from my ISP? E.g. TCP/IP, Router address, Subnet, DNS info? That's the hardest part... they are slow with Customer Service...

Mar 3, 2015 4:17 PM in response to pbdvp

It looks like Tesserax may not be online at this time, so we'll go ahead and get started.

First, power down the Motorola modem completely by pulling the power cord from the back of the device or from the wall AC jack, whichever is easier. Leave the modem powered off for at least 30 minutes. Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the modem as well.

Next, we will do the default reset on the Time Capsule. This is tricky.....you almost need to have 3 hands.

Power off the Time Capsule by pulling the power cord from the back of the decide and disconnect the Ethernet cable that is current connected to the Time Capsule

Leave the Time Capsule powered off for a full minute

Then, hold in the reset button on the Time Capsule firmly...and keep holding it in.....for an additional 10 seconds while you simultaneously plug the power back into the Time Capsule

Release the reset button after the hold period and allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

Power off the Time Capsule again

After the modem has been powered off for at least 30 minutes....longer will not hurt...connect the Ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN "O" port on the back of the Time Capsule.

Power up the modem and let it run for 5-10 minutes....longer will not hurt.

Now power up the Time Capsule and let it run for 5-10 minutes....longer will not hurt.

Click the WiFi icon at the top of your Mac's screen

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Just below that, click on Time Capsule

The illustration below shows an AirPort Extreme. You will see Time Capsule on your screen

User uploaded file

When you click on Time Capsule, that will start up the setup wizard to walk you through the installation to create a new network. The window will look similar to this, except that you will see a picture of the Time Capsule

Click Next

User uploaded file

Use a short, simple name for your wireless network....something like pdvdp would be fine. Do NOT use the name that Apple suggests, which will be something silly like Patty's Red Apple Wireless Network.

Use a short simple name to call the Time Capsule......mine is TC, for example

Enter the password that will be used for both the wireless network and your TC device and Verify

Click Next

Follow the prompts. When you are done, the TC should be providing a wireless network with the new name that you assigned. Check on your Mac first to make sure that you can connect.

Then, try to get one iPhone to connect to the new network. If it works, then configure the next, etc.

However, do not proceed to the next device until you have the previous device working correctly. Keep setting up devices until all of your wireless device are working

Post back on your progress

Mar 3, 2015 7:05 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob,

i did exactly as you said. Waited extra time for each power step. On laptop, I clicked on the wifi icon. Still see my network in the list of found networks; no new airport base station nor AirPort Extreme as illustrated.

WHen end I opened airport utility (it is version 6.3.4 (634.17)), I have no Internet (shows orange dot) but green on my old network name. The old network did not get wiped out.

since you might not get back to me this evening, I am going to try the reset again and this time leave everything off overnight, including the laptop (as I did last night...and that produced positive, though not correct, results).

i Will report back tomorrow. Any additional suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

pam

Mar 3, 2015 7:20 PM in response to pbdvp

Unfortunately, it appears that your Time Capsule is not resetting correctly. Leaving it off overnight will not help. You only need to power it off for a few minutes between reset tries.

Rather than a default reset, I would like you to try a Hard Reset. This is a bit different.

Power up the Time Capsule for a few minutes

Hold in the reset button on the back of the Time Capsule for 10 seconds, and then release

Allow a full minute for the Time Capsule to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

See if that will allow you to set up the Time Capsule again

Also check with iPhone or iPad as follows:

On the home screen, tap Settings

Tap WiFi

Look for a setting of Set Up a New Base Station

Tap on Time Capsule to get the same setup sequence going

Mar 3, 2015 7:33 PM in response to pbdvp

YYippee! that worked. Clicked on time capsule and am now waiting while it is "Gathering information about your network with the spinner and the Preparing... Message. It has not asked if I want to create a new network yet...

THank an you and I will keep you posted...hopefully will have smooth sailing soon.

Mar 3, 2015 7:47 PM in response to pbdvp

TThe laptop is still gathering. The iPad, however finished the config already. The airport light is green and I have Internet on it. Success on one of the iPhone's too!

So I just cancelled the operation on the laptop and successfully connected to the new network!!!!!

you are a GENIUS!!!!!!!...and my Knight in shing armor! 😎

thank you for your patience and assistance!!!!!!!

HAve a nice night!

Pam

Mar 3, 2015 7:53 PM in response to pbdvp

When you have a moment, check some settings on the laptop.

Open System Preferences (gear icon on the dock)

Open Network

Click on WiFi on the left to highlight it

Click Advanced at the lower right of the window

Click the TCP/IP tab

Make sure that the setting for Configure IPv6 is set to Link Local Only

Click OK, then click Apply in the next window

Then, go back and click Ethernet to highlight it and perform the same sequence as above

Restart the Mac

Then repeat the entire process for other Macs that you might have

Issues with AirPort wifi to iPhone/iPads. MacBook Pro OK.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.