Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Libraries and event management-Newbie ?

Hi:

I'm a still photographer trying to get my head around the FCPX terminology. For my workflow I'm thinking of having 2 libraries, 1 for professional work and 1 for personal work. Then I would create events in each library and then projects from them. Is this the most efficient way or do you want to have 1 library and separate events.

I find that choosing the names "Events" or "Projects" is confusing. To me they sound like the same thing.

I'm just finding it difficult sledding at first.

Thanks,

Bill

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 6:52 AM

6 replies

Mar 3, 2015 7:39 AM in response to Whophoto

Event = raw material (mnemonic: a wedding is an event = hours of film, thousands of photos)

Project = the movie you make (mnemonic: "My next project will be even bigger!" = a selection from the raws

Library = a collection of all Events and Projects,

Just two Libs seems to me too 'narrow'.

Don't know how you're organized in real life… Theoretically you could make a Lib per client. Or, a Lib per 'theme' (cooking, watches, collectors items...). Keep in mind: you can 'close' Libs (and re-open) = less clutter on screen, no need to scroll the work of years...

Keep in mind, FCPX has an awesome organization tool: keywords and smart-list. Just dumb your material into an Event. Then select all clips** with the same keyword and drag's onto your Keyword Collection - done, You can give a clip several keywords, those 'markers' can overlap, etc ...

And no need to manually organize by meta-data … (don't manually rename clips, pushing into folders etc.)

Invest 20$ into Lesson for Final Cut* (<<< link to US AppStore) from rippletraining.com. Steve&Marc explain those tools within minutes

* I dont profit from mentioning this, just a satisfied customer.

** I say clips - means stills or sounds too

Mar 3, 2015 7:41 AM in response to Whophoto

Just a hierarchy of folders for organization. Library at the top level, then event, then project. Here is a support doc that discusses working with libraries.

Everyone's workflow needs are somewhat different. So there is not one size fits all approach to organization.

Just a few things that you may want to keep in mind: As libraries, events and projects grow in size, load time lengthens and response time tends to slow. Managed media (copying files to the library) cre and frequent renders adds to the potential for slow-down. FWIW, I try to keep libraries slim as possible – and typically work with external media., And at any given session I only load those libraries that are current working libraries, That means I have quite a few libraries, but it works for me. I also don;t render unless I have to and work with native media as much as possible.

Best of luck.

Russ

Mar 3, 2015 9:24 AM in response to Russ H

Russ H wrote:

Everyone's workflow needs are somewhat different. So there is not one size fits all approach to organization.…

Have you seen this structure on fcp.co?

http://www.fcp.co/forum/4-final-cut-pro-x-fcpx/22592-fcp-x-workflows

awesome idea to 'pre-structure', without content!

@Whophoto

I like to link to this article :

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/tutorials/1436-log-like-a-ninja-in-final-cut-pro -x-with-michael-garber

Logging level 9.5. 😎

and my obligatory link to something from Mark&Steve

MacBreak Studio: Ep. 303 - Managing Sound Effects in Final Cut Pro X

http://youtu.be/cjLBLiRMIeM

In one line: create an Event with your best audio-clips ... smart!

Libraries and event management-Newbie ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.