Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external hard drive NOT mounting to mac

I have never had problems with my external hard drive (I just bought it a few months ago), but suddenly it is not mounting on the iMacs at my work or my Macbook pro at home. The drive does NOT show up in Disc Utility, but when the drive is connected via USB, the light on the drive comes on and it is clearly operating. It will not mount on any mac product all of a sudden. I have no idea why this is happening someone PLEASE HELP thanks

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 9:18 AM

8 replies

Mar 3, 2015 9:37 AM in response to smithdn5

You might also consider using NTFS for Mac OS X from Paragon-Softare and/or their HFS+ for Windows drivers that let you seamless mount, write and use a drive on both platorms.

NTFS for Mac - the built in Apple driver does not work as well even in read-only and has trouble with mounting external drives.

Bus-powered units always seem to have issues. Depending on the Mac and where it was plugged in, whether it is USB2 or 3.

Self-powered units are more reliable.

external hard drive NOT mounting to mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.