Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphoto does not shutdown

It overloads my processor from the start and doesn't end, if I choose quit it doesn't comply and keeps going forever, it occupy 140% of processor. I can see all my photos, I can edit but with very slow response and I have to force quit. I have repaired the library with no result. My Library is 78 GB. I already tried creating a new library and adding a couple of pictures, it works fine and I can quit normally. When checking activity monitor it has 25 subprocesses running. Another funny thing, i I click to select a different library there are 4 libraries to choose from, all the same name and same directory location. I have bee trying to solve this problem for months.

Mac Pro

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 8:53 AM

3 replies

Mar 5, 2015 11:35 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks but I already tried that a couple of times. Additional info: My Library is 78 GB. I already tried creating a new library and adding a couple of pictures, it works fine and I can quit normally. When checking activity monitor it has 25 subprocesses running. Another funny thing, i I click to select a different library there are 4 libraries to choose from, all the same name and same directory location. I have bee trying to solve this problem for months.

Mar 5, 2015 12:23 PM in response to iamjimmy

Have you tried killing those processes in Activity Monitor and then see if you can shut down iPhoto normally.

Since the new library doesn't behave the same way the culprit is your current library.

Where are the other libraries located that you see in the Open window. Click once on one and check the location under the window.

If you can't repair the library so it works as expected your next option is:

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.>Click on the Add Library button,

User uploaded file

2 - select the library you want to add from those in the selection window.

3 - make sure that in the rebuild window the checkbox "Scavange orphaned photos" is checked.

User uploaded file

4 - now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu option

User uploaded file

5 - in the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed. Click on the Create button.

Note 1: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost.

Note 2: Your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

iphoto does not shutdown

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.