Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving between iMac and MBP using an external drive

I want to move between two machines while working on the same project using an external drive to hold EVERYTHING. How do I do this in FCPx?

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 10:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 11:10 AM

Coldbay wrote:

I want to move between two machines while working on the same project using an external drive to hold EVERYTHING. How do I do this in FCPx?

Simple. Just store your libraries and your media in the external. You can attach it to either machine and work.

Two small words of caution:

1) make sure that you any effects, titles, etc that you use are installed in both machines.

2) In order to avoid permission problems, select the HD in the Finder, Cmd-I and check the little box at the bottom that says "Ignore ownership on this volume".

As long as you adhere to these points, it should be pretty painless.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2015 11:10 AM in response to Coldbay

Coldbay wrote:

Simple. Just store your libraries and your media in the external. You can attach it to either machine and work.

Two small words of caution:

1) make sure that you any effects, titles, etc that you use are installed in both machines.

2) In order to avoid permission problems, select the HD in the Finder, Cmd-I and check the little box at the bottom that says "Ignore ownership on this volume".

As long as you adhere to these points, it should be pretty painless.

Moving between iMac and MBP using an external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.