Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 17, Iphone 5s completely dead

Hey everyone,

I tried to update to the latest IOS my Iphone5s, I previously had 7.0.4. When I tried to do so I received an error 17 and my Iphone got stucked into that screen where it tells me to connect to itunes, the problem is that if I connect it to itunes it won't be recognized, other third party software like TinyUmbrella and stuff like that won't recognize it either, another weird thing is that if i have my phone connected through usb itunes won't even open. I also tried to put my phone in DFU mode so that i could restore it but still no luck, nothing happened even in dfu my phone haven't been recognized... I really need help as soon as possible!

Thanks to everyone for the help and sorry about my English but i'm obviously not a native speaker.

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4, trying to update to ios 8

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 9:32 AM

10 replies

Mar 3, 2015 10:19 AM in response to MindGroove

another weird thing is that if i have my phone connected through usb itunes won't even open

are you getting a specific error message when you try to open iTunes with the phone plugged in?

If you can try doing the restore using a different computer, if theres not another one available and this a windows computer I would also try the steps in this article especially under the sec "verify that the apple mobile device usb driver is installed"

iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

if its a mac I would contact apple support directly

http://www.apple.com/support/contact/

Mar 3, 2015 12:23 PM in response to Ingo2711

Oh then no, but look like i found a old pc of a friend that seems to be the only one that recognize my Iphone somehow, unfortunately he doesn't have a stable connection (It goes off every 30 minutes and it takes an hour to download the update). So right now what I will try to do is download the update with my pc, put it on a usb and try again with the shift thingy, any chance i could use an older update? If it's possible I wouldn't have to download 2gb and I would be done quicker. Thanks for everything for now

Error 17, Iphone 5s completely dead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.