Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my trash folder is an exact duplicate of my finder. If I permanently delete my trash folder will it delete all my files?

I am using OS X Lion 10.7.5. Processor 3.6 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, Memory f GB 1067 MHz RAM.

My trash folder is an exact duplicate of my finder (i.e., when you open trash it is a mirror of finder). If I permanently delete the files in Trash will it delete all my files off of my hard drive?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 10:44 AM

1 reply

Mar 3, 2015 11:02 AM in response to lsuking

No, it only removes files in the Trash. If you open a Finder window on the Trash what you get is a normal window that shows files in the Trash using the Finder's default view. But it is not a duplicate of the Finder. If it is in the sense that what is displayed are files that are not supposed to be in the Trash, then you have a problem with the Trash folder. See the following:

Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on solving Trash issues. You can also try using Trash It! 5.1 to fix the problem. Or you can try this:

Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder and paste the following at the prompt:

sudo rm -Rf ~/.Trash

Press RETURN. Enter your admin password when prompted. It will not echo to the screen. Press RETURN again.

(Should anyone tell you this is dangerous or unnecessary, please ignore the comment.)

my trash folder is an exact duplicate of my finder. If I permanently delete my trash folder will it delete all my files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.