Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External USB on Time Capsule Speed

Hi,

I got a question regarding my recently bought TIme Capsule. In my home there are 5 Mac computers and we all use the Time Capsule for our Time Machine Backups. This means of course the drive is getting filled fast and we can't put any other files on there, wich I don't mind because the Time Capsule isn't made for speed so streaming movies from it is not really an option.

My question is, if I were to connect an external USB drive to the Time Capsule, would it run at the maximum of USB 2.0 speed or slower?

Greetings.

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 12:19 PM

A drive connected to the USB 2.0 port on the Time Capsule will run at about half the speed of a USB 2.0 drive that is connected directly to a computer.

However, if you are connecting using wireless, the actual speed that you connect to the drive will vary according to the speed of the wireless connection. The speed will never be more than about half of normal USB, but it might be significantly less depending on the wireless connection.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2015 12:19 PM in response to ScavengerQ

A drive connected to the USB 2.0 port on the Time Capsule will run at about half the speed of a USB 2.0 drive that is connected directly to a computer.

However, if you are connecting using wireless, the actual speed that you connect to the drive will vary according to the speed of the wireless connection. The speed will never be more than about half of normal USB, but it might be significantly less depending on the wireless connection.

External USB on Time Capsule Speed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.