Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 6 touch ID doesn't read my fingerprints

Quite soon after I got it - and after loading my fingerprint - my iPhone 6 would not unlock using that fingerprint. Many times I reloaded my fingerprint - and other fingers. It would work for awhile, then stop.

I called AppleCare and they guy had not had this problem. He said to try a couple more times, then take it in to be replaced. I did that. The Genius was skeptical, but replaced my phone. And, of course, my fingerprints worked fine while I was there with her.

It worked for a couple of weeks, now it doesn't any more. I just reloaded one finger and it works. The other three fingers do not.

I keep my fingers clean and my phone clean.

I keep my IOS updated. Now it is 8.1.3.

The only thing I can think of is that I often squeeze putty in my hand, in my fingers.

Anybody else have this problem?

iPhone, iOS 6.0.1

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 10:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 10:57 AM

Dave Barram1 wrote:

The only thing I can think of is that I often squeeze putty in my hand, in my fingers.

What happens if you stop using the Silly Putty for a while? Silly putty may well be leaving a residue on your fingers that interferes with fingerprint recognition. Even small amounts of dampness on your fingers can cause the sensor to fail to read.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2015 10:57 AM in response to Dave Barram1

Dave Barram1 wrote:

What happens if you stop using the Silly Putty for a while? Silly putty may well be leaving a residue on your fingers that interferes with fingerprint recognition. Even small amounts of dampness on your fingers can cause the sensor to fail to read.

Mar 3, 2015 12:12 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks Meg. I have actually paid some attention to when the touch ID doesn't work and when I use the putty. I haven't thought it was related, but I'll keep checking because it seems like an obvious answer.

I just loaded my left pinky fingerprint. I also loaded a duplicate version of my right thumb. So, when my right thumb stops (I believe it will), I can delete once and try again and also try my right pinky. So, that's my planned experiment.

Stay tuned if this interests you.

(I believe we can't use ApplePay without the touchID. My problem would not be good for ApplePay. Unless it is extremely rare.)

Mar 3, 2015 12:25 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Well, I must confess that your observation is probably accurate and I will divulge why I play with Silly Putty. Beside the fact that my grandchildren seem to like it siting on my desk.

All my life I have bitten my fingernails. About 10 years ago, I found that if I had some putty in my hands I was dramatically less likely to. I am in no danger of pushing Scott Brown out of his side job as a hand model, but not bad. I'm pretty sure I could stop if my life depended on it, but that's not the case - at least as far as I can tell. So, that's it.

My iPhone 6 touch ID doesn't read my fingerprints

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.