Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my iPhone won't send email messages … but it can receive them!

If, following a password change on you AOL account, you find your iPhone will no longer transmit/send out email messages, but can still receive them, it's a quirk of the system . . . but you can fix it easily. Here's the why and how:

Transmit problems after you change password for AOL. This would be no problem except that the iPad and iPhone allow you to alter only the incoming email password 'manually' (to match up with AOL), but won't allow you to change the password for "SMTP" sending of email, i.e., outgoing messages. Of course, if you can't update BOTH to your new AOL password, it means you can only receive emails; not send. Thus, to update both receiving and sending, you have to REINSTALL AOL: Here's how:

(a) in Settings, select Mail, Contacts & Calendars,

(b) under Accounts, select AOL (if you only have AOL on that device, it will automatically be pre-selected)

(c) With you AOL email address in the "Account" line, select "Delete Account" and confirm,

(d) once deleted, go ahead and perform a "soft shutdown" of the iPhone: hold down the "off" button of the iPad/iPhone to shut down the whole system, then turn it back on a minute or so later by holding down the "on/off" button for a couple of seconds until you see the white Apple, giving the system time to restore to a normal desktop, then . . .

(e) go back to Utilities :: Mail, Contacts, Calendars :: under Accounts select "Add Account" and follow instructions (not hard),

(f) once that's all done, go back and look at your AOL account and be sure the "SMTP" part is turned "ON" with the green toggle switch. The new account will be ready to use immediately, with the new password working for sending and receiving emails.

(g) send yourself a "test message" to confirm that it transmits and is also received with no error messages.

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.1

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 12:26 PM

There are no replies.

my iPhone won't send email messages … but it can receive them!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.