Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sort a list alphabetically

Why is it that Apple Pages (5.5.2) is such a terrible word processor that there isn't a function to do something as simple as sorting a word list alphabetically? I have really tried following other's advice to no avail. I am left with no other option but to go back to Microsoft Word where the option is clearly displayed and easy to use. Pathetic, Apple, PATHETIC!

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 10:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 11:50 AM

OS X App Store. Download the free WordService service. Then in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services, find the WordService:Sort Lines Ascending, and WordService:Sort Lines Descending entries. Click the box to enable them. Close System Preferences.

Select your list of items in Pages v5.5.2. Either press shift+command+A, or visit Pages > Services > Sort Lines Ascending menu entry. Your list is sorted instantly in place.

You can click on the /Applications/WordService application, and the Help button will open a Window describing all of the Services that are available.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2015 11:50 AM in response to galindes

OS X App Store. Download the free WordService service. Then in System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services, find the WordService:Sort Lines Ascending, and WordService:Sort Lines Descending entries. Click the box to enable them. Close System Preferences.

Select your list of items in Pages v5.5.2. Either press shift+command+A, or visit Pages > Services > Sort Lines Ascending menu entry. Your list is sorted instantly in place.

You can click on the /Applications/WordService application, and the Help button will open a Window describing all of the Services that are available.

Aug 26, 2015 8:04 AM in response to VikingOSX

I bought a MacBook Pro yesterday—not my first Mac by a long shot. It runs Pages 5.5.3. I followed these instructions for sorting text to the letter, but when I attempted to download Word Service, I got the following message: "The services of this application are accessible via the Service menu of most applications. it's not necessary to launch the application manually. Enable and display services individually using System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > Services."

I followed those instructions, clicked on the WordService: Sort Lines Ascending / Sort Lines Descending, returned to my text and attempted to use the keyboard shortcuts. Comm+Shift+A unhighlights the highlighted text I wanted to sort and erases the Format window on the right. Comm+Shift+A leaves the highlighted text as is, makes a "clunk" sound, and leaves the Format window open. Neither command sequence sorts the text.

Before suggesting http://www.macosxautomation.com/services/index.html, I tried that. It sorts, but strips out all the formatting. And if you are trying to sort a bibliography for a doctoral thesis, this is not helpful.

That there is no Sort feature in Pages is ridiculous and only one more reason I may have to bite the bullet and go back to MS Word.

Aug 26, 2015 9:18 AM in response to Buzurg

There are those that dutifully follow their car GPS right over a cliff. I apologize, as my previous instruction of shift-command-A should have been command-A, or more precisely, use your mouse to select the list of sortable items. Once your list is properly selected, then the WordService sort will work correctly, whether by using its keyboard shortcut, or accessing the Pages Services sub-menu.

Microsoft does have 32 years of progressive development behind Word, and most of that to add features requested by its corporate customers that have spent a fortune on Word/Office licenses. Apple's goal was not to create a Word clone, or even a close competitor, but to give Apple users something inexpensive, simpler to use, and with enough features to address non-professional grade deliverables. And then they lost their way and introduced Pages v5. I don't disagree with your assessment that Pages should have sort functionality, but Apple's user radar has gone out.

Going back to Word is my recommendation for those that already know it, and require professional grade document interchange, or advanced WP features. I would not fool with Office for Mac 2011 at this juncture, and for Yosemite and later, would engage Office 2016 for Mac.

Aug 26, 2015 10:14 AM in response to Buzurg

Shift-command-A in Pages v5.5.3 simply hides the right format panel. I certainly had originally meant to say command-A, but it was written incorrectly. Since one most likely wants to sort a list among other document contents, the mouse provides finer grained selection, rather than grabbing everything in body text with the command-A sequence.

Sort a list alphabetically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.