Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macbook pro screen went black but is still on

My macbook is a 2014 retina display and is not even 6 months old. I was on the internet and after a few seconds the screen went black but the computer was still on (charger light and capslock key lit up). I have tried restarting and reseting RMC and a PRAM reset and no luck. I can here the welcome sound when I turn it on but there is no display. Please help!

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 11:19 AM

3 replies

Mar 4, 2015 1:06 PM in response to Jaccjacc23

Good day Jaccjacc23,

So it sounds as if you are getting no video on your MacBook Pro though it appears that the computer is functioning otherwise and you have tried resetting the System Management Controller and resetting the parameter RAM with no change, is that correct?

I would suggest that you troubleshoot using the steps in this article -

Apple computers: Troubleshooting issues with video on internal or external displays - Apple Support

Some of the steps you have already performed, and there is no need to repeat them.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Safe computing,

Brett L

Mar 5, 2015 2:14 AM in response to Jaccjacc23

Mine did the same thing and its less than a year old. Apple Store stated the logic board will have to be replaced. Unable to restart into Target Disk Mode to backup for whatever reason although one can power on the unit, hearing the chime and also able to power off. I'm extremely busy and travel constantly so I hope to schedule another appointment with a 'genius' towards the end of the month to turn the unit in for repairs. My third Apple laptop since 2000.

macbook pro screen went black but is still on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.