Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I tell if my iPhone is unlocked?

I had an old iPhone 5 for which I submitted request to AT&T to unlock the phone. I received instructions from AT&T to connect to iTunes with cable, backup my iPhone, and then Restore again. The instructions said that once I complete backup-restore activity my iPhone would be unlocked. I received an error during the Restore step (backup device uncompatible..). My question is how can I tell if my iPhone is unlocked or not? Thanks in advance for your help.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 11:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 11:23 AM

If you followed the instructions from AT&T, you had to restore the phone as new first, before you tried to restore from a backup. When you restore as new, as you finish the restore, you should see a message in iTunes stating Congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked. After that, you can restore from a backup. The only time you should see the incompatible message is if you are trying to restore a newer backup to an older iOS on the phone. You can restore an older iOS backup to a newer iOS phone, but not the other way around.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2015 11:23 AM in response to ct_magg

If you followed the instructions from AT&T, you had to restore the phone as new first, before you tried to restore from a backup. When you restore as new, as you finish the restore, you should see a message in iTunes stating Congratulations, your iPhone is unlocked. After that, you can restore from a backup. The only time you should see the incompatible message is if you are trying to restore a newer backup to an older iOS on the phone. You can restore an older iOS backup to a newer iOS phone, but not the other way around.

How can I tell if my iPhone is unlocked?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.