Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone & iPad mail is locked - Press mail app, the screen starts mail, freezes and bounces back to main menu. The fault occurred whilst opening a draft email created in the 'Mail 2 Group' app. Hard reset/reset all/restore backup have no effect -help !

User uploaded fileI installed the Mail 2 Group App on my iPAD, created an email which I saved to the 'Draft' folder, with something over 300 of my contacts in the bcc. On returning to this email, again in my iPad, the screen locked in mail for a few seconds and bounced bak to the main menu. This repeated on my iPhone, on which I have been carrying out my own checks - this includes deleting the Yahoo account, hard reset (red cross and two buttons), restoring a backup and Reset All in settings.

I'm stuck !!

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 12:28 PM

Sending a message with that many addressees may have required more RAM than was available. You can clean up RAM as follows:

• Double-press the HOME button
  • Kill each app by flicking its screen image up
  • When all apps except the Home screen are closed press HOME
  • Wait about 2 minutes for the shutdowns to finish
  • Turn the phone off (hold the SLEEP button until "slide to power off" appears, and do so)
  • Wait another minute
  • Turn the phone back on by holding the SLEEP button until an Apple logo appears

Now try to send the mail again. Note that you may have an unrelated problem if this works: Many ISPs (Yahoo included) limit the number of email recipients for a single message as a way to combat spam.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2015 12:28 PM in response to bobthedog

Sending a message with that many addressees may have required more RAM than was available. You can clean up RAM as follows:

• Double-press the HOME button
  • Kill each app by flicking its screen image up
  • When all apps except the Home screen are closed press HOME
  • Wait about 2 minutes for the shutdowns to finish
  • Turn the phone off (hold the SLEEP button until "slide to power off" appears, and do so)
  • Wait another minute
  • Turn the phone back on by holding the SLEEP button until an Apple logo appears

Now try to send the mail again. Note that you may have an unrelated problem if this works: Many ISPs (Yahoo included) limit the number of email recipients for a single message as a way to combat spam.

Mar 3, 2015 2:23 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Hi Lawrence, thanks for your help. I did as you suggested - once all apps are closed, the mail app symbol remained along with the home screen. Trial and error enabled me to flick the mail symbol away. On restart, the mail app remained locked, bouncing me back to the menu screen, after a few seconds. Double pressing the hpme button showed the home screen and the mail app symbol. This was the case for both iPhone and iPad. I wondered if it's possible/sensible to reload/restore the mail app software - presumably by reloading the OS ? I'm on the latest software on both devices.

Mar 3, 2015 2:35 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Lawrence,

Apologies if this comes through twice - I tried your suggestion (thanks) on both iPad and iPod. On closing the open apps, I as left with the home screen and the mail app symbol, which did flick away (trial and error). Once restarted however, the fault remains ! Is there away to reinstall the software ? I am up to date on both devices. Thanks.

Mar 3, 2015 2:56 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I deleted the Yahoo account/restarted/added yahoo and the fault remained - I do have 4 email and an iCloud account; if they all need to go i will need to check I have all the data to hand to reinstall them - that's a job for the morning. otherwise I will make a mess of it - hence my hope that re-installing the OS might be a route forward ! Thanks

Mar 3, 2015 3:29 PM in response to bobthedog

You shouldn't have to reset any other accounts, only the Yahoo, unless you think the problem can be a different account. This problem can be caused by a corrupt email message in your account, and that can be any account.

You can reinstall iOS by connecting the phone to your computer, clicking on its icon in iTunes, and clicking Restore iPhone.

My iPhone & iPad mail is locked - Press mail app, the screen starts mail, freezes and bounces back to main menu. The fault occurred whilst opening a draft email created in the 'Mail 2 Group' app. Hard reset/reset all/restore backup have no effect -help !

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.