Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Purchased on Ebay- How do I know if the screen is actually a retina screen?

Hey Apple fans,

I recently purchased a 15" Macbook Pro 2.7GHz i7 (2012, Retina) on Ebay. Everything looks really nice, and it's still covered under Apple's 1 year limited warranty as the original owner purchased it refurbished from Apple. But, I still would like to know if there's anyway of physically being able to tell if it has an actual retina screen and wasn't swapped with a non-retina screen, if that's even possible.

I would really appreciate your knowledge, I've been thinking about this lately.

Note: I went into the Appel Hardware Test, and under Hardware Profile > Video Details: Display width (pixels): 1440 Display height (pixels): 900.

Thanks again,

Brian

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), 2012

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 12:17 PM

5 replies

Mar 3, 2015 12:59 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I checked everything in the software, and serial number, I know it's a retina Macbook. I just wanted to know if the screen could be replaced with a non-retina type and still show as retina. I've never heard of it being done, but was just asking to be sure.

Thanks for the help, it's a large purchase from a private party so I'm a bit cautious.

Purchased on Ebay- How do I know if the screen is actually a retina screen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.