Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my mac restart after fully charging?

I'm new to my mac and I'm a little confused over why it acts in a certain way.

So I close it and put it to charge every night. In the morning when I wake up, I unplug it and it makes a strange mechanical noise and restarts. I type in my password, then some loading bars appear, then have to type my password in again and from then on it works normally... But I would like to know how to avoid the restarting process. Am I doing something wrong? Or is there a problem with the battery?

I'm new to macs all together, so what might seem like an obvious solution to you, may not be so clear to me!

Grateful for any advice.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 1:48 PM

2 replies

Mar 3, 2015 3:03 PM in response to maki_

Hi Maki

When you open the laptop does it do a full restart? As in it goes black, plays the iconic apple startup chime, displays a splash screen and loading bar, and then prompts you for log in?

A full restart after waking is suspicious. Typically when removing power from the macbook, it will make a few noises as the optical drive cycles up, or the hard drive spins. It should then either load your desktop or bring up the log in page where you are to type in your password. Occasionally if the macbook has been asleep for a very long time it might write an image to disk and load from there. This would show when you open your macbook, and it seems unresponsive for a moment as it loads from the file then prompts you to log in. It's a rather lengthy process when it does this. I know for my mid 2012 macbook pro that was the case. I replaced the hard drive with an SSD but mainly I changed my hibernate mode to never write a disk to file, and never load from it. It drove me bonkers having to wait every time I opened the thing.

Why does my mac restart after fully charging?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.