Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete thousands of files from desktop

Used a file splitter and ended up with 82,000 files on my desktop that I can't delete because Finder hangs.....

PLEASE HELP!

OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 1:26 PM

9 replies

Mar 3, 2015 1:36 PM in response to marieantc

Can you open any applications at all? If yes, go to Applications > Utilities and launch Terminal.

I'm assuming you want to delete all the files on your desktop. Type in this command, substituting yourname for the shortname of your home folder:

sudo rm -R /Users/yourname/Desktop/*

Make sure there is a slash at the end of Desktop. This will delete the contents, not the folder itself.

Type in your login password when prompted. Don't interrupt it. These will be removed but not to the Trash so you cannot recover them.

Mar 3, 2015 2:04 PM in response to marieantc

Then let's bypass the Finder. Reboot but go into Single user mode:

Boot and hold down the Command and S keys at same time until you see white text on a black background.

Release the keys and wait until the text stops scrolling

Type the following carefully (substitute your shortname in the right place) because you will be logged in as root and can do anything in here. after each one, hit the return key and let it do its things.

mount -uw /

rm -R /Users/yourname/Desktop/*.csv

reboot

Delete thousands of files from desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.