Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Will Not Turn On Following Self-Repairs!

Hi Everyone.

I have a Mid-2009 Macbook Pro 13" and a few of my keys stopped working (took it to Apple and was told I needed to replace the entire Top Case (about $200)). I also have a problematic trackpad (doesn't click) and need a new battery. Being a desperately broke student, I can't really afford to make major repairs through Apple and can't buy a new laptop. Anyways, I met a girl at the Apple store who told me her laptop crashed (also a Mid-2009 model) but the battery, trackpad and keyboard were functioning perfectly. So, I ended up buying the entire laptop off her for $50 (but she took the hard-drive).

These are the steps I took:
1) I put my hard-drive into the newly purchased Macbook Pro, it turned on but did not boot (went through many steps and arrived at the conclusion based on others with similar problems that it was a logic board problem).

2) I removed the logic board from the new Macbook Pro and replaced it with the logic board from my macbook pro. I followed every instruction carefully according to iFixIt self-repair guide...

3) I try turning on the new Macbook Pro but the power button simply does not respond when I try to turn it on....

Any ideas????

Posted on Mar 3, 2015 2:56 PM

19 replies

Mar 3, 2015 3:36 PM in response to sohaibm.99

You may have missed something which will require that you go through the process again and make certain that every connection is solid. Don't feel bad, it took me two tries to get it right installing the logic board when I resuscitated my 2006 MBP.

From a software perspective, try SMC and NVRAM resets:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

Ciao.

Mar 3, 2015 4:25 PM in response to sohaibm.99

Lets get this straight…

Your Macbook Pro 13"

Symptoms: dying trackpad & battery issue.

• Apple said you need a new top case
  • Converted into 'frankenmac' by adding logic board from an Mac in unknown state

Now will not power on at all

Girl's $50 Macbook Pro 13"

Symptoms: 'Crashed' – Any real diagnosis beyond that?

Your HD failed to boot this Mac at all, unclear if you actually tried other startup disks.

• Used as a logic board donor for your original Macbook Pro.

I hope OGELTHORPE & my ginger are correct & you simply missed a connection or two. Strip & recheck everything.

Otherwise to me it looks like you may have replaced a (possibly faulty - but that isn't confirmed) logic board with an 'unknown status' logic board. I can't understand why you are replacing parts that do not need replacing (e.g. the logic board, when your Mac apparently needs a new top case, battery and trackpad).

Ideally you need to work out if the $50 laptop can boot in a stable way - since it failed with your HD that puts it into the list of unknowns.

Personally I'd contemplate reverting your Mac to the original state, add her battery - expanding batteries they been known to cause trackpads to misbehave (possibly in other models). Then I'd move on to the trackpad & top case if those are still not working.

Mar 3, 2015 4:59 PM in response to OGELTHORPE

I understand that, but without seeing the second MBP boot successfully it makes it a questionable logic board donor, especially when the boot disk from the original MBP was working (that is presumption on my part - it isn't clarified in the original post).

Another option is to insert the original MBP logic board into the $50 case, it may be easier now it is in pieces. Use a bootable USB stick as a test OS if you don't have spare HD's. USB will run slow, but it may be enough to check the trackpad & keyboard. You probably want to setup a bootable USB installer as a quick & dirty 'known good' test OS…

http://diskmakerx.com/or

http://osxdaily.com/2013/10/23/create-os-x-mavericks-install-drive/

Mar 3, 2015 5:09 PM in response to Drew Reece

Hey Drew, thanks for your feedback, I have been at it for a few hours. Here are a few clarifications:

1) Original MBP was working beautifully (minus trackpad, certain keys, and battery needed replacement)

2) New MBP was purchased without hard-drive. After adding hard drive from original MBP, computer turned on but did not go past grey screen. Did a series of tests including opening in safe mode and others, and contacted seller. Was told from seller that they are "pretty sure" they were told my Apple that logic board needed replacement, so she opted to buy a new MBP. As such, I reached the conclusion that it was a logic board problem.

3) Instead of removing everything from new MBP, I replaced original MBP logic board with new MBP logic board, but now the machine will not turn on at all.

Updates:

I put the logic board back into my original MBP and now my original MBP will not turn on at all. Even though I was careful, I may have damaged a critical component of the logic board. Will toy with it a bit more and if worse comes to worse, will use school computers for the time being until I can save up for a new one or fix the issue 😟

Mar 3, 2015 6:02 PM in response to sohaibm.99

So the way I deal with the keyboard connector is to use a strip of blue tape attached to the backside of the flex cable:

User uploaded file

Then positioning the flex carefully within the connector body, use the blue tape to wiggle and pull the flex into the connector body until it seats as shown:

User uploaded file

Lock the connector down and you're done.

If the flex cable got damaged there is a way to turn on the MBP, bypassing the power button:

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/turn-on-macbook-pro-laptop-without-power-button-lo cating-power-on-pads/

Be absolutely sure that you have identified the correct pads. Use a tiny flat blade screwdriver that will just bridge between the two pads and short them together.

So what you want to do is to use the known good logic board in new MBP w/ the working keyboard.

Uhh, good luck.

Mar 5, 2015 9:45 AM in response to sohaibm.99

Ok. Trying to get a handle on what you have do. Your MBP booted and ran, but had a faulty keyboard. So you took the new one you bought new and swapped all the parts from your original MBP into the one you bought to make use of the keyboard. And now the problem is,it only boots to a gray or white screen. No apple logo or Folder with question mark. What operating System does your original hard drive have on it? Do you have any install disks or bootable external drives? If the only thing wrong with yours was the keyboard and you now have a usable keyboard. Then it should now be booting. We are missing something here. If the keyboard functions,the logic board is good, it powers on and your internal drive is formatted and bootable , Then what about the hard drive cable?

Mar 5, 2015 11:10 AM in response to my ginger

Thanks for your suggestion, I agree that I have likely missed a critical detail. Here are the details up to now:

- Original MBP starts up fine (but, the top case needs replacement)
- New MBP does not boot up properly when I put my hard-drive in, reached conclusion that it was Logic Board problem
--> Decided to just put Original MBP logic board into New MBP instead of taking apart the entire top case and then transferring everything over such as optical drive, etc. because its a much harder/longer repair.

- Logic Board from Original MBP in New MBP does not boot up, only a white screen is showing. As such, seems to be doing worse than before when I just transferred hard-drive in (at least an Apple logo would show up then). What could be causing this? Is there a problem with one of the wires/something else that I should replace???

Thank you!

Macbook Pro Will Not Turn On Following Self-Repairs!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.